"One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it brings."

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Backyard bloomers on a day of nothing.

Yesterday was the first day of nothing we've had in a long time.  Nothing had to be done other than just hangout and enjoy not having to get in the car and go somewhere.  The littlest gardener and I went out and got the watering done early before it got too warm.  We enjoyed blueberries and noticed that a couple of tomatoes are turning red, which is a good month earlier than usual.  Later in the evening I went out and did some deadheading, cut back a few plants that were finished blooming and weeding.  I love doing that type of work in the evening when it's really quiet and the temperature has cooled down, we didn't come in until almost 9 o'clock.
 This is some of what is blooming in the backyard now:

Blue Pickerelweed has fully opened and more buds are on the way.  I've noticed this plant, which is actually in the water, droops when it gets hot.  I guess that's a sign of warm weather when pond plants droop.

Agastache

Echinacea 'Magnus' which I moved here years ago.  These were seedlings from some that grow near our driveway.

Ligularia dentata 'Othello' just starting to bloom.  It will have several of these orange flowers when this bud finishes opening.  This plant has been suffering in the dry heat we're having, very wilty and needs lots of extra water.

Hosta

Butterfly Bush (Buddleia davidii) 'Pink Delight' is one I thought I'd lost this winter.  It's blooming, but not as good as usual.

Clematis 'Ville de Lyon' is reblooming, although it's second flush of flowers aren't quite as large as the first.

My favorite discovery was this Oriental Lily that was from a mixed bag.  I wish I knew the name of this one.  The inside is butter yellow, and smells delicious.  A few years ago I planted several groupings of Oriental Lilies, the clumps haven't multiplied much but at least they are returning.  I think next year I'll be adding lots more.

Another warm day is predicted, and the girls and I are heading to the beach with friends.   
Pin It

23 comments:

  1. I have that ligularia and am SO excited it has buds! This is the second time I've tried it and the first time it died:( This time it is planted in a full shade spot near the downspout. That must be the ticket as it is most happy! I hope it looks like yours when it blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mention a few here today that I've never seen before. They are all so pretty. I like to get out after supper and work in the garden too. It seems very quiet and I can just enjoy being out without the hot sun shining on me. I hope you all have a fun time at the beach with your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes it is very hot when the pond plants are droopy! WoW! We got coller temps and rain, and now you got our weather!!! It will be cooling down before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with DP, pond plants drooping, I'd say it's rather warm there. Your flowers are beautiful....still. Enjoy a day at the beach!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely pictures... even if the plants are feeling the heat a bit! Mind you, wish we could say the same here back in the UK.... the rain's back, so no such luck as drooping flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That lily is gorgeous. I have that clematis as well although it didn't bloom this year (I pruned it incorrectly!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was out in my garden this am and was saying to myself that it is a good think hostas have great leaves as the flower act crazy. I have them laying down on the grown etc. Then I looked over at a variegated hosta and there was this beautiful bloom standing upright. Yours looks great. All of your flowers are really great specimens.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the lily too. Mine did really good this year and I am going to divide them up and get some new clumps going. And I love the way your deck looks. Yall did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your flower photos are very nice.

    Lets Make History.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry you are having to deal with the heat. We got lots of wonderful rain yesterday. My grass is actually green again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You probably feel like something is missing or your forgetting something after having so much to do then having a day of nothing;-)
    The picture of the lily is the greatest shot!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love "do nothing" days; they're nice to have once in a while. Your flower pictures are just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Magnus looks lovely - it reminds me of cute pictures of little rabbits when their ears are down, like in story-book illustrations!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those days are nice aren't they? Of course with kids grown and us retired we get lots of them now but I still know how much all of you with children and lots of things to do really enjoy having them. A slow day to collect thoughts and have some quiet time.
    I may have asked you before but is Magnus big? Oh and you showed my new favorite 'gotta have' Clematis that's bloomin' again - 'Ville de Lyon' is so beautiful. I'm thinking maybe one I'm going to ask for ID on looks like your Agastache, does it have a nice smell? Your Blue Pickerelweed is very pretty. That Oriental Lily is gorgeous - hopefully someone can help ya out with the name.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a nice day Catherine. I love the beginning and ending of days too (especially if I get to spend them in the garden). You have some nice bloomers as usual. Have a great day at the beach. I think we might head to the pool tomorrow too as it's going to be hot here as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Catherine~~ Beautiful blooms! I moved my Ligularia to a mostly shady area because it was plagued with that same pathetic mid-day wilt. Why don't plant labels warn us of this?

    I can practically smell your Buddleia and lily. My lily bulbs don't seem to multiply either but they come up fairly reliably, despite the perpetually winter
    soaked soil.

    Your C. 'Ville de Lyon' photo really shows the texture of the flowers. Fabulous. Personally I kind of enjoy the smaller blooms.

    I hope you can have several more of those days of nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The saying goes that “There's a book inside all of us”, well here is a chance to let your book out. The wonderful people over at Blurb have given me 3 vouchers worth £30 off a Blurb book and to be in with a chance at winning all you need to do is pop over to my blog 365 to 42 and follow the instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love days like these .Yesterday we went to the beach and hopefully today we will be pottering about ;-)

    I love the blue Pickerel weed..I do so long for a pond!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your pond is a harmonious place. The hosta is an unusual one.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's been hot here too! The rest of this week is only supposed to be in the low 90's and I am happy. Crazy to be happy about the low 90's. Your blooms look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh those days of nothing are worth cherishing, aren't they? Love your photos, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It is so nice to take time out especially when the children are young.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I enjoyed your blooms. That yellow lily is especially pretty. Seeing your clematis reminds me I need to deadhead mine.

    I read your post about the deck, too. I like what you did. Now, you have a place to relax after doing all those big jobs you find to do over there!

    Sue from A Corner Garden

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and leave a comment. I try my very best to answer any questions you may have, but usually don't have time to respond to each comment. Please leave a link to your blog so I can visit you in return.