"One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it brings."

Friday, July 3, 2009

Antique Rose Farm

Our trip to the Antique Rose Farm in Snohomish, Washington was pure heaven yesterday.  If you like roses, perennials, beautiful views and unique garden decor than this is the place to visit.  I went with my girls and my Mom and we had such a nice time.  I already can't wait to go back.  I read that the family that owns this rose farm has been here for 20 years.  The original home is a 1901 farmhouse.  

This birdhouse with the climbing rose is what greets you as you enter the rose area.  They had quite a few pretty birdhouses that looked handmade.

The coloring of this rose caught my eye as we first went in.  I couldn't find it's name.

The lady that helped us told us these were mostly the English roses.  We barely made a dent in seeing all the varieties.

Some of the arbors and benches for sale.

'Rock n Roll' caught my eye too.

Some of the pretty perennials.  More nice decor in the little shop behind.

This arbor led to a large grass area with lots of roses and lavender growing around the perimeter.  They had a sign that said 'Hidcote' lavender was their favorite.  This place seemed like it would be perfect for a wedding.

Species roses, rugosa roses and old fashioned roses.

Another pretty rose whose name I didn't get.

My Mom and my girls under a huge arbor with a large red climber.

Another beauty with no name.

I think this is the old barn that now has antiques for sale.

The home the owners live in.  Just look at the view they get to see everyday!  We were told the pink roses growing along the picket fences were 'Bonica'.

My sister gave me a gift card for my birthday which I of course used to buy two new roses; 'Julia Child' and 'Gertrude Jekyll'.  I'll share pictures of these once I get them planted.
I highly recommend a trip out this way if you're ever in the Seattle area.  

Pin It

25 comments:

  1. What a wonderful place to visit! I hope your new roses will flourish in your garden! The photo of your mom & daughters is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, wish we had a rose nursery/garden like that around here. I'll just have to work on making my gardens more beauteous. :-)

    Love that picture of your Mom and daughters.

    Enjoy your new roses. I look forward to seeing where you have them planted.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing these magnificent roses and the surrounding vistas. What a magical place! Your Mom and the girls look so pretty. I know this was a memorable visit for all of you. Can't wait to see your new roses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg, I would go nuts in a place like that. Roses, perennials AND antiques ~ all my favorites! Such great pictures, I would be dying to get in that barn. Wonderful photo of your Mom & girls too. Have a great 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's beautiful. It is also so nice the kids and your mom shared the day with you. Love the birdhouses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Catherine~~ Beautiful photos. Your daughters are so pretty and sweetly poised and your mother is beautiful. They look right at home among the blooms. 'Gertrude Jekyll' (I call her Gertie) lives in my garden and her fragrance is exceptional. Great choice. I think VW did a post recently on Antique Rose Farm. I think. My memory often betrays me. Stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful way to spend the day. Bonica roses are one of my favorites to use in designs - very disease resistant, repeat bloomers and that lovely pale pink color combines well with other plants. In fact, they look incredible as a background plant with Mexican Feather Grass in the middle of the border and Kent Beauty Oregano in front. Not that you asked, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic Rose garden !! This is so beautiful and great...Thanks for sharing such a beautiful place..Photos are really wonderful...I am now following you..Do check my another blog also i.e.Unseen Rajasthan

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous place Catherine.
    Weather looked great too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I could SMELL them from your pictures...wonderful place!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to come to Seattle to see that beautiful place. I know you guys enjoyed that! Thanks for taking us on the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks everyone for visiting! I swear I could smell roses for hours after we got home. Next time I'll take more pictures of the valley around it, just beautiful.

    Susan - That does sound like a really nice combination.

    Unseen Rajasthan - Thank you and I'll be by to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just a beautiful trip, Catherine! Gotta love that 'Rock 'n Roll' :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. All I can say is WOW! What a lovely way to spend the day. Thanks so much for stopping in at my blog. Apparently, several of us that use wordpress as our blogging site are not coming through the favorites pages. Stuart is working on it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a beautiful place!!! thanks for the tour...and I just can't wait to see what you have next week! have a great weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now that just looks like a perfect day out!

    ReplyDelete
  17. For someone who loves flowers that had to be an exciting trip.

    Happy Fourth of July from Abe and Patty Lincoln and family.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful place! Thank you for the tour. Sounds like the *perfect* day out.

    Great picture of your mom and daughters.

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh I am SO jealous! I wish we had a place like that here!
    the pic of your mom and daughters is great!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful rose nursery the perfume must have been divine. The photos were great too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful time you had! It's wonderful that you could take your mom AND your daughters, too. :-) I'll be watching for your new roses. Happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for sharing your day with us. A person could spend a lot of time there. Roses and antiques, what a wonderful combination! I love all those arbors and decor. The photo of your mom and girls is precious! What fun memories you are making!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous blooms and what a beautiful "farm" of roses. I LOVE roses. My bloomed profusely in the spring and now are on a second round. Please tell your mother she is beautiful! And you have beautiful children, too--just like their mama!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great place! It reminds me of Petals From the Past, which is 2 hours from here. I love that place!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Abraham Darby is my favorite English rose for color and scent - second in line is Gertrude Jekyll. Gertrude has an intoxicating old rose scent and bright pink double double flowers. Two of Austin's very best. If you're looking for a nice yellow, try Austin's Pilgrim. Almost imperceptible scent, but loads of blooms and disease resistant here in the N.W. garden. Will tolerate some shade.
    Jean
    gisforgarden.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and leave a comment. I try my very best to answer any questions you may have, but usually don't have time to respond to each comment. Please leave a link to your blog so I can visit you in return.