"One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it brings."

Thursday, January 1, 2015

I'm still here!

Every so often I get an email or a message on Facebook wondering if everything is okay.  It's nice to know people still check here!  I'm still here and things have been good.  Blogging seems to have dropped to the bottom of my list of things I have time for.
Since I last posted in March I was very busy trying to finish my first years worth of volunteer hours for the Master Gardener program.  So, I have spent many hours helping at the Bothell Children's Garden both working in the garden and helping with the preschool program, helping with the Bothell High Culinary Arts program, clinic hours at the Home Depot, potting up tomato seedlings for the Master Gardener Sale and working at the Master Gardener Sale.  Then there are the post graduate tests and other various things that needed to be finished for the MG program.  I will have to do that all again for 2015, after that I will no longer be considered an intern and then the mandatory hours are much less.
So, as you can see I barely had time to work in my own garden after all of that on top of the usual busyness here.   I do try to look at blogs, but usually don't have time to comment, although I hope I can try and do more of that soon.
Our summer was very hot, I spent a lot of time watering trying to keep plants alive.  The upside is we have tons of tomatoes still in the freezer.

Since I last posted the Littlest Gardener turned 8 and Sweet Pea turned 16!! 

 We added a few Silkies and built them their very own coop.  They are great egg layers, but all three went broody at the same time and crowded into one tiny nesting box.  At this time of year they are laying much better than our regular sized chickens.

 And just when I thought we couldn't get any busier we decided to get a puppy.  She is a miniature Labradoodle.  She is now 14 weeks old and named Stella.  I forgot just how much work puppies are.  Luckily Sweet Pea had taken on a big chunk of the time she needs spent with her.  Sweet Pea has already taught her quite a few tricks.  Now, I just look forward to the jumping, biting, chewing phase to be over.  I can tell she is a smart girl and she can be very sweet when she's just about to fall asleep. ☺ 


Since fall I've been cutting down and digging up and moving things in the garden.  I'm anxious for it to warm a bit so I can get back out and do more work out there.
Hopefully 2015 will be a good year for all us gardeners.  May we all have time to find some therapy out in our garden!
All words and photos in this post are property of A Gardener in Progress. Pin It

22 comments:

  1. I am in love with your puppy ...!!!❤️❤️❤️. Happy new year....in good health...lots of love joy and peace....love Ria...!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stella has stolen my heart! What a face!!!!!

    Happy new year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thing she's so cute, especially when she's getting into trouble :)

      Delete
  3. Dear Catherine, so nice to see you posting again and knowing that you are alright "just busy"! Wow, I didn't know that the Master Gardener program was that much of a job. I really admire you for doing it. How lovely to see that you got a new dog. She looks totally adorable, but a little bit mischievous, too ;-). I hope that your first dog, the Bijon Frisee, wasn't her name Gracie, is OK though and you just got her a companion. My husband and I got a dog, too, a young Doberman Pinscher from the shelter about 4 weeks ago. We couldn't be happier with him, but he has tons of energy and takes up a lot of time (I blogged about him just recently, if you want to have a look). How I shall get the garden ready for spring, especially the rose pruning and fertilizing done, is a open question to me, but I will just do what I can and be happy. Wishing you and your loved ones a happy and healthy New Year 2015! Hopefully it will be a good one for all our gardens, too. Warm regards,
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Gracie is doing well, although not too sure of all the energy the puppy has.

      I will come see about your puppy. They sure are fun to have around!

      Delete
  4. So good to see you in here again! You've been awfully busy that's for sure. Your silkies are pretty and Stella is adorable.

    I can hardly believe that Sweet Pea is now 16. Time is zipping right along.

    Have a wonderful 2015 ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  5. When the gardens need tending during the long summer hours and we finally go indoors after a long hot day's work ,we are dead tired and all we really want to do is clean up and rest. Blogging went by the wayside a lot this past year because our gardening days lasted until late fall. Like you, we got the most tomatoes ever !

    The MG program is wonderful and I always appreciate the volunteers so willing to help . I don't comment on your blog often but appreciate it !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by Kathy! I guess winter is a good time to plan for what we want to do out in the garden in the spring isn't it? :)
    I enjoyed doing the MG program, I'm lucky in that the places I volunteer are mostly close to my house and I'm even happier that it involves working with kids. That was the number 1 thing I wanted to do with my hours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Catherine how wonderful to hear from you! Such exciting news too as you keep moving through the MG program...here's to a great garden season in 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So nice to see a post from you. I see you all the time on Facebook, so I haven't been wondering what you're up to. I do hope you don't give up on blogging. Yours was one of the first I found when I started.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year to you and family and great seeing your posts again

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy New Year! Glad to hear life is good and busy. Some day, I'll have the time to do the master gardener program as well. Good for you! Love the new puppy and chickens. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Time got away from me too on the blogging. I am trying to get back into the swing of it again. I can see you have had a busy year. I love your new Silkies, they are just so pretty for chickens. LOL! The new puppy is so cute. Glad to hear your are going for the Master Gardner program. The girls are growing so fast Catherine. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy New Year, Catherine! I'm trying to get back into the blog swing of things this year, and was happy to see your post. Stella, is quite simply, adorable, and your chickens look oh so very stylish too! You've certainly been busy, but the MG program is a very worthwhile endeavor. Hope you can find a little more time to spend in your own garden this season :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Catherine! Such a busy year, no wonder your blog was quiet. I really enjoy keeping up with you on FB and am glad to still stay connected! Power on with the MG duties! I know you'll be so happy when the intern business is over and the real fun begins :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy New year to you, Catherine. Good luck with the rest of your Master Gardener program. The new puppy is adorable, as are the silkies :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Catherine ~ good to see your blog post & thanks for your comment on mine. You've definitely been super busy! I have thought off & on about the Master Gardener program but I guess I'm too stingy with my time because so far, it's more of a commitment than I'm willing to make. I'm glad you're enjoying it tho and I hope you do get more time to work in your beautiful garden. It's maintained really well!!! I am SO, so jealous of those Silkies. If I could ever figure a way to have chickens, they would be the kind I'd want!! They are so cute. We have too many raccoons, fox, hawks, etc., that I would have myself stressed out worrying about them. Can't believe how fast time has gone by ~ your girls have gotten quite a bit older since I started reading your blog. Hope you & your family have a really good 2015.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely adorable puppy. The white markings make a formal touch to a a very informal little dog. The chickens are wonderful too. I wish we didn't have such miserable winters here. I would love to keep a couple fancy chickens but not during below zero weather.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Catherine, This is Mildred from Georgia. It is wonderful to see an update from you and the girls! Wishing you guys a wonderful Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey!! Catherine how are you??and how is your garden and pets??hope everyone and everything is good..though you have stopped blogging i regularly visit your blog and read your old posts .. come back soon catherine :)
    take care!
    stay blessed :) :)
    Abrar.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and leave a comment. I try my very best to answer any questions you may have, but usually don't have time to respond to each comment. Please leave a link to your blog so I can visit you in return.