"One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it brings."

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Where in the world is Bilbo: Washington!

Bilbo made it safely to Western Washington yesterday on an 80 degree day with blue skies.  Thanks to Prairie Chicken of Winnipeg, Canada for packing him safely and including a magnet, key chain and a cute stuffed mosquito that buzzes.  Of course my girls loved all the surprises included.

Bilbo found the first Starbucks after his long flight.

Thanks to Bilbo's visit I noticed that there are 3 water lily buds above the water now.  In the background you can see he was enjoying a visit with the littlest gardener's friends.

Bilbo checking the Poppy and Larkspur seedlings.

Bilbo in the front yard surrounded by mallow, iris, liatris and phlox.

Bilbo in one of the containers on the front porch.  It's really starting to fill in now!

If you are interested in having Bilbo visit you, let me know in your comment and I'll add your name to the hat.

RULES
#1) COPY & PASTE these rules into your post on Bilbo if you receive him. The post must be titled WHERE IN THE WORLD IS BILBO: (your city). If everyone copies the rules, then the person you send it to will know what to do. If each post is titled the same, we can keep track of Bilbo and follow him on his adventure. PLEASE do not forget to copy and paste these rules into your post if you receive Bilbo.
#2) In order to participate you MUST leave a comment on the post about Bilbo with the blogger that has him. That blogger will draw names from the people who left comments on that post. Once the winner is selected Bilbo will be on his way to see your garden.
#3) When you receive Bilbo please take a photo (or photos) of him in your garden as well as a photo of yourself with Bilbo.
#4) Rules are linked to http://northmobilegardensociety.blogspot.com/ . Please leave a comment on The Dirt Princess' page so she can keep track of him and let other bloggers know where Bilbo is, and post where bloggers can see his latest travel.
#5) Please try to get Bilbo out the door as quickly as you possibly can. If at all possible please try not to keep him more than 7 days. We want to get him to as many places as we can in 6 months.
#6) Bilbo will travel for 6 months, April 21, 2009- October 21, 2009. If you have Bilbo at the end of this 6 month time frame, you will ship him back to the Dirt Princess athttp://northmobilegardensociety.blogspot.com/.
#7) When Bilbo arrives back with the Dirt Princess, there will be a great post letting everyone know where Bilbo has been, when he visited as well as links to the bloggers posts that had Bilbo.
#8) There will be a list enclosed with Bilbo for each blogger to sign once they receive Bilbo. That list will be sent back to the Dirt Princess.
#9) Should anyone have any questions please contact Dirt Princess at
#10) The blogger that is has possession of Bilbo is responsible for shipping him to the next blogger. Please handle him with care. He is ceramic.
#11) Bilbo may be shipped to countries outside the United States. We want everyone to join in on the fun!
#12) If you would like to throw in a little something with Bilbo to ship the next blogger, please feel free. Add to the excitement. See what Bilbo brings you when he arrives at your door step.
Have fun and DON'T forget to copy the rules into your post when you receive Bilbo.

Pin It

32 comments:

  1. I'm not sure if I've "visited" you before or not....but I certainly will return! It was delightful to see a good part of your spring postings and read your accurate comments - like the one about the surprise of what grows anywhere while what you TRY to cultivate fails.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute post! I've never seen a gold garden gnome before. -Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. BILBO!!!! He does love his Starbucks!!! I love the shot of you and Bilbo!!!! I left your tag on my page...and yes I spelled Gardener wrong....a typo. I can't fix it until I get back to work Monday...sorry....so I will get it to you then...LOL!!! I was so excited I didn't check it for errors!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Catherine, You look cute holding Bilbo. This reminds me of my kids projects with Flat Stanley! Bilbo sure is becoming quite a world traveller. He will have a lot to report to his class when he gets home (haha!). Your pond looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just wondering when Bilbo was going to arrive at your place. I would like for you to put my name in the hat!!! Your gardens are looking wonderful. Love that tree you are standing under..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Catherine, what a wonderful garden you have, Bilbo looks quite happy there, what a great idea, I can over from dirt princess, I would love a visit from Bilbo, happy weekend, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great on the Starbucks! Well what else will one do when they visit Seattle? Even a gnome must have some good coffee after the long flight.

    I noticed the blogger under a most beautiful tree and I must say it is good to see the face behind the blog! It is you? And oh what a tree. I enlarged the pic and it looks like rhododendron? Awesome!

    And I must say, awfully nice of Prairie Chicken to include some gifts for the girls.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That Bilbo is sure getting around to visit the gardens. Cute post.What a pretty tree with the lavender blooms. Gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bilbo must be enjoying his travels!

    Your garden is looking lovely, I especially like the pond photo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fun!
    Lovely rounds Bilbo has made in your gardens...
    The pond is so tranquil. Bet it is nice to sit next to when it's hot weather, like now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Has Bilbo ever been to the south shore of Nova Scotia? Well, if he hasn't, then get yerself down here, boy!

    I'd love to have him visit me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. thanks for the tour...and what a great idea!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rebecca - Thank you so much for you nice comments and for visiting. I do hope you visit again :)

    Jackie - Isn't it funny? Dirt Princess found it.

    Dirt Princess - I find typos all the time and just hope no one notices :) Thanks for linking to my blog!

    Jan - It's a fun idea isn't it? I think Dirt Princess is going to do a special post on him after he returns to her.

    Darla - He had to wait for both a Canandian and a US holiday before he finally arrived.

    Kathy - Thanks, and thanks for visiting.

    Tina - Starbucks is on every corner here as you probably have heard. That is me under the rhodie. It is nice to have a face to put to a name I agree. I just hate having my picture taken :)

    Lona - Isn't it pretty? It's a big rhodie.

    Phoenix - Wouldn't it be nice to travel around the world like that?! The pond is getting full of lily pads and buds now. I can't wait for the blooms.

    Aerie-el- Can you believe this weather? It's going to be nice for awhile, it feels like summer.

    Sandy - He hasn't been there yet, maybe he'll make it for his next trip. If not you can try to have him visit another time.

    Tootsie - You're welcome. I think Dirt Princess came up with a really fun idea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay Bilbo! Thank goodness he landed somewhere that actually had flowers in bloom!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ahaaa .. I found Bilbo! Would Bilbo travel half the globe to visit me? I would love to have him in my humble garden. Yeay Bilbo ...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cute Idea, Catherine! I think you have plenty of candidates for his travel... but he would be welcome here as well. :-) After all, there is this special little door in one of my trees. Maybe he could investigate for me. ha!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cute post - LOVE Bilbo with the Starbucks!!! (I'm not in the running to receive him since I've had him before.) What is that amazing plant you and Bilbo are under?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hilarious! I love it. Glad to see Bilbo got his caffeine fix. The garden looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Prairie Chicken - You had tulips :) Thanks again for the gifts!

    Blossom - I'll add your name. It would be fun if he made it to your garden!

    Shady Gardener - Maybe he could meet whoever lives behind the little door.

    Ginger - It's a big rhododendron. It's really pretty right now.

    Melanthia - Thanks! When in the Seattle area you need to have Starbucks. My MIL wants to visit the original Starbucks every time they visit us :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Catherine, I must tell you that I ran 'way' late this month and didn't get your gardening-by-letter card to Anna in time. I told her I'd ask you for your address and send it to you separately. I have a few things that got in the way (tick bite, sprained ankle) which I didn't write about in a post (I should have). If you'll give me your address I will get my card to you, ok? Just let me know in a comment, and I can delete it. Sorry to be late; hope you'll understand!

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOL

    That was fun: Bilbo -a golden gnome- traveeling all over.

    Your garden looks so pretty at the moment it was lovely to take a tour with Bilbo.

    I loved his coffee break too- just what a well-travelled gnome needs...would he like tea do you think?

    If so I'd be honoured to have him visit me in England......

    ReplyDelete
  22. Perhaps I'm a little too far for Bilbo.

    Is he Bilbo Baggins? If so it won't be the first time he's left the Shire.

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Catherine, please add my name to the hat...if it's not too late. Such a fun post! That rhody you're under is AMAZING! Can't wait to see your water lilies bloom :)
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, that Rhodie is gorgeous!! I bet Bilbo enjoyed the Starbucks coffee and seeing your beautiful pond.

    ReplyDelete
  25. wow!!!
    the Bilbo looks very funny.....,
    in your brilliant shaded garden

    cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Jan - No problem, I hope you're doing better now :)

    My English Country Garden - I think he would love tea. I'll add you to the drawing.

    Rob - Dirt Princess named him, I'm not sure who after. I'll add you as well. It would be fun if he left the continent and became a real world traveller.

    Lynn - You are added as well. He sure has a lot of good potential places to travel to.

    sweet bay - Thanks! Luckily he shared his coffee with me :)

    Femin Susan - Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I believe Bilbo is having a blast, and racking up the air miles too! How fun to show him the greatness of Starbucks too!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm sure Bilbo would have a grand time here in London, visiting Big Ben and Buckingham Palace!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Heather - Even gnomes have to have their Starbucks!

    Matron - Maybe he'll make it to London. I'm sure he would love to see the Queen!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow! Bilbo is looking great. Traveling really agrees with him. Glad you thought to get him some coffee. :-)
    Your garden is looking fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Bilbo sure is making the rounds. He looks so nice among all the flowers and I know he feels good too.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I've never been big on gnomes, but Bilbo may make me change my mind. I'd love to get in on the fun! Your garden tour is great!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and leave a comment. I try my very best to answer any questions you may have, but usually don't have time to respond to each comment. Please leave a link to your blog so I can visit you in return.