"One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it brings."

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Rearranging the garden and keeping focused.

I've been busy doing lots of rearranging in the garden recently.  I find myself having a hard time staying focused on one place at a time though.  It's sort of the same way I am in the house.  I go to clean a room only to find things that go in another room, once I take them there I start on another project before I've returned to finish the project I started first.  Well, in the garden as I dig up a plant and instead of just putting in a pot or in the shade, I try to find a place to plant it right then.  That usually means I have to move something else to make room for it.  Then I have to find new homes for the ones I just dug up to make room for the first plant, meanwhile the original spot I started has now been abandoned. 
I've been trying to stay focused on the area behind my pond that I dug up over the weekend.  I've been pretty good staying focused, although I did end up doing quite a bit of rearranging in the front yard to make room for the lilies I dug from the backyard, and I must say it's an area that I've been working on all summer and had planned to move the lilies to already.  So, really that wasn't a total distraction, at least that's what I'm telling myself and my husband.

Here's a little of what's going on so far: 
Geranium 'Rozanne' has been on my list for sometime now.

Heuchera 'Marmalade' is planted near the pond edge with a couple of other different Heucheras, both in the purplish-red family.  Japanese Blood Grass 'Red Baron' is close by too.

Echinacea 'Sundown' is going to be planted not too far from 'Marmalade', it hasn't been moved yet, and that's only because it's supposed to be 85 degrees today.  Currently it's in the butterfly garden, but the Butterfly Bush is growing over it, so it needs to be moved anyway.

Fuchsia magellanica 'Aurea' was one I thought had died last year.  I found one tiny little leaf trying to sprout when I moved an Astillbe earlier this summer.  I moved it to a container and nursed it back to health.  It should bloom next year.

Beautyberry (Callicarpa) 'Profusion' is planted in front of the fence and has lots of room to grow.

Ninebark (Physocarpus) Coppertina 'Mindia' is a new shrub that I just bought.  It's got the most beautiful coloring.  It's also got lots of room to grow, they can get quite large.

So, that's just some of what I'm trying to stay focused on.  There is lots more going on in this bed but the sun has been so bright in the backyard now that I've had a hard time taking a picture of the whole area.  The sun already seems so much lower and really is affecting the lighting in picture taking.  I'm sure we'll have an overcast day soon and I will take more pictures then to share.

Pin It

30 comments:

  1. Your garden is just so lush and inviting. The ninebark is very unique. You're doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel ya about the projects that get started only to bring you to another project. I feel like I'm going in circles when I do that. Your flowers are still looking good. I need to do the same thing you are doing - but that means that I need to enlarge a couple of beds. Soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy ... do I know that feeling once you start moving things around!! Great pictures on today's post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the same focus issues as you, both inside the house and outside in the yard. I seem to flutter from one thing to another without completing any of the tasks. There are worse things, right? Seeing your Beautyberry, makes me wish there was one in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm just happy to learn from you and some of the comments above that I'm not the only one who can't stay focused!!! Everything is pretty but I've never seen that last plant, the ninebark. What a pretty color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I lost my Japanese Blood Red grass over winter. I guess it was too cold here for it. Your's looks great as do all your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As an artist, I find planting a lot like creating compositions. You are in many ways moving things around to make better visuals in your garden. Your plants are still looking great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So funny to read your post. I am like that too. One job starts a hundred others. I think you do amazing. The photos are great today too. I'll be looking forward to seeing the whole area whenever it works for you to photograph it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sisters we are. I also start to do one thing and end up doing ten others. It is so easy to do. I made up a list this morning and maybe I did 2 out of 6. :-) Other things beckoned and I fell into doing them.

    You have some really lovely blooms. I love the beauty berry.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who is a flutter-by when it comes to doing things around the house and garden. I have found that it is counter-productive to make lists or try to follow a plan. I always end up doing something else. :)

    At any rate, whatever you're doing is working, because your garden looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do that same thing in the house when cleaning. Then I really have a big mess. The garden - not so much - but I plan on being more like that out there now. Because you all are a big influence on me. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sunny there and raining cats and dogs here. I'd love a bit of sun to make the plants grow and settle in. That coppertina is most nice. Can't wait to see the completed part. And oh yes, do I ever have the garden distraction thing-with cleaning too. But with cleaning I head to the garden to 'do something' and never make it back to cleaning:) Ha! I bet that happens to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had to laugh at your description of getting sidetracked. I'm the queen of it, though, both inside and out.

    Your plants are looking great. I have a couple beauty berry bushes this year. I'm not a big shrub person, but these seem to be growing fine.

    I've heard ninebark is a cool plant. Yours looks ready to grow and show off.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is so easy to get distracted when gardening or house work for that matter. I got out a planted a few things on Saturday. Of course, that was in between the weed pulling, watering and pruning that I found needed to be done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Couldn't agree more. I'm pretty much the same :) Beautyberry shot is really nice. I love your blog, keep posting more...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good for you having some restraint with transplanting until it cools. I just went nuts hacking apart plant clumps and transplanting all over my west bed, and it's supposed to be rather hot this week! But sometimes you just have to do it while the bee is in your bonnet or it will never get done.
    Glad to hear your ninebark has plenty of room. I love ninebark's arching form, but there are many planted in our neighborhood that get sheared into blocky shapes and they look sad that way.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Arranging a garden has the same peculiarity as in arranging the house and keeping up with work.... rearranging, rescheduling and staying focused are things we had to do... ~bangchik

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Catherine, that's what I call the Domino-effect! Happends to me all the time, so you're in god company =) I'm looking forward to see more pitcures from your lovely garden. A bit surprised that you still have that heat´! Love the colour of that 'Sundown' I have to see if I'm able to find some more Enchineas for my garden. Hope you'll have another wonderful day in the garden / gittan

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your garden is really beautiful and lovely !! The colors are amazing..I loved the shot !

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your photos are amazing, Catherine! The lighting looks fabulous. We have been waiting for the rains to stop so we can do some rearranging as well. You are quite the inspiration! Not getting sidetracked is difficult when every move requires three or more other plant moves. You have described the dilemma well. :-)
    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am also rearranging my garden all the time, so that the plants get the most sunlight. Good luck to you in your arrangement!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Catherine! We are having a great summer here in the NW, and your pictures show it well. Thanks for your comment on my Dew and Light post. Yes, my nasturtium usually blooms till October. Maybe, even longer. But I'll remove it soon because of the black little creatures on the leaves and stems and yellowing leaves.It grows vigorously and can take over the flower beds if I leave it alone. Happy gardening and blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Snaop I have the same problems that plus I have let the garden get so behind as I have been busy the last week.
    Love the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It happens:) Your photos are wonderful! The geranium looks so happy and so do your other blooms! Glad you posted the beautyberry too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That 'Rozanne' knocks my socks off everytime it see it up close.
    So many pretty blooms for September.
    Great photos !!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I always enjoying rearranging in the garden to be such fun. It's easy for me to get stuck in the mode of- well, it's planted, why move it now? But when I get it in my head to finally shuffle things around, I really enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have the same problem, I know what I want but never know where to put things... I get distracted any rarely, if ever follow any plans I create...

    I like the freedom, however it does make me very confused!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I can totally relate to the focus thing--especially in my home! Love the plants you've got going and ones you've chosen! Can't wait to see a broader picture with the pond.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I see you have been busy revamping your garden beds too. Your new plants and moves look great. I love the berries on the Beautyberry.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and leave a comment. I try my very best to answer any questions you may have, but usually don't have time to respond to each comment. Please leave a link to your blog so I can visit you in return.