"One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it brings."

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Looking good today.

This morning started off as pretty cool and everything covered in a heavy layer of dew.  The Littlest Gardener wanted to go out and ride her tricycle (which she learned is hard to do in rain boots) and I took the time to do a bit of transplanting and finding homes for plants that got moved out of the backyard.  I've been reorganizing a few beds and think they are going to look much better next spring and summer.  I'm realizing that I have areas that all bloom at once and then nothing happens the rest of the spring or summer.  
After we cleaned ourselves up I went out to take pictures of some of the things that were really standing out to me today.  The sun made a nice appearance and really brightened things up.

Looking down the path everything looks so much fresher after all the rain we had the last two days.

One of my fall planters Carex 'Prairie Fire' and unnamed orange Pansies.

Months ago I planted Clematis 'Josephine' in my garden.  It was clear she hated where she was and I thought it had actually died.  I dug it up and put it in a planter on the deck where I could water and keep an eye on it.  Soon after it was moved new leaves started appearing and not long after, buds.  I couldn't wait to take a picture of the almost opened flowers.  Of course I'll take more when it fully opens.  I think I'll just let it grow in here.

Hardy Fuchsia 'Queen Esther' hasn't gotten any taller, but has been blooming since I planted it this spring.

Japanese Anemone 'Honorine Jobert' has such pretty white flowers, but still not as tall as it normally is.

It's hard to see just how pretty these two look together.  Hydrangea 'Preziosa' is one I highly recommend for seasonal interest.  The flowers and foliage are continually changing colors.  Abelia 'Edward Goucher' has light pink new foliage and pink bell shaped flowers.

Campanula 'Summertime Blues' is a non stop bloomer which stays on the short side.

And finally, Rose 'Abraham Darby' in his new spot.  I realized where it was I had to climb through so many plants to enjoy it that it needed to moved closer to the front.  I know it gets tall, but most of the things behind it will bloom and be finished in spring.  The rest of the summer we can easily lean in for a whiff of it's wonderful scent.

Later this week I'll try to share pictures of the places I've been rearranging.  They aren't all that exciting now since not much is in bloom, but next year should be great.  I'm already looking forward to it!
Pin It

30 comments:

  1. Hi Catherine, How pretty your flowers look today. I especially love the hydrangea and abelia combination. Those colors blend so well together. Glad you and the Littlest Gardener got to get out this afternoon. We have had non-stop rain all week (around 5 inches I think) I am needing to see the sun! Hope you have a wonderful week and I look forward to the changes you are working on in the flower beds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks so good! We are finally getting rain and I hope the sun comes out soon. I did buy a 'Prezisa' finally-now if I can dig that new garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see what you've been doing ~ sounds like you've been busy! I think your garden looks great the way it is but I guess I only see whats blooming? I ordered clematis 'Josephine' strictly to plant in a container since I read someplace it does well in one. It sounds like yours agrees? I'm glad you didn't lose it. Are you planning to leave the container outside all winter or move it to the garage??

    ReplyDelete
  4. The colors of that hydrangea are unbelievable! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, things are looking great. I love your path and all that's in and around it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your flowers look so great. Your growing season starts sooner and ends a lot later than ours. Thanks for sharing such great flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marvelous gardening, just marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Catherine~~ Irony or what? Just a few hours ago while garden preening, I noticed a second round bud on 'Josephine.' Yours is much farther along but mine should bloom before the unfriendly weather arrives. Interestingly, I've moved Josephine 3 times. Making her happy hasn't been easy. It's comforting to hear that she's been fussy for you too. She is definitely worth a little extra effort.

    Oh Abraham, Abraham!!! What an uncommonly handsome fellow.

    I think moving plants around to tweak the design is one of my favorite things to do. Sounds like you too.

    'Preziosa' is fabulosa!! The foliage on mine is still green. I love how you've paired it with "Eddie." Genius!

    It looks like 'Esther' has an unusual stripe in her tube. She's a beaut.

    I notice in your first photo that the area between the walk and the deck is still awaiting your decision. Am I right? If you're like me you wait until inspiration strikes, and when it does, you just know. But until then you let it simmer. [Sorry for the mixed metaphor. :]

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that hydrangea! Such lovely colors!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks everyone for your nice comments!

    Kathleen - I think 'Josephine' will do better in a container where I can keep it watered and in a little more shade. I hadn't thought about bringing it in. I may just bring it to a sheltered part of the yard near our house. The garden doesn't really look bad, it's just me and my changing things around like I always do, our summer was so dry I had to save it all for now.

    Grace - Thanks for the compliments. I'm also glad to read that 'Josephine' wasn't just picky for me, it's so pretty it's worth coddling. I haven't decided yet on the path planting, I think I'll wait until spring unless I decide before then. I'm leaning towards geraniums though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sooooo envious that Josephine is blooming again for you. Mine never did bloom but I have to say I'm just thankful she's still alive. Maybe I should swap her with Clematis Plena (something) who is in the pot on the deck. The Hydrangea and Abelia so look great together. My Edward isn't blooming because we moved him - he was covering almost the whole window. Hmmm so you have a Campanula that is kind of short. I'm still waiting to find a pink one. That was the first thing I asked at the nursery the other day and she remembered me asking before and said next year she planned on having some. FINALLY! Got to spend time outside weeding and trimming today. I'm not planting anything until I get my spray but they were out. In fact yesterday a doe and her twins came out of the woods and headed down the neighbors driveway. I screamed OH NO THE NAKED LADIES and headed out the door ready to rumble when I saw them go the other way. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a nice walk I had along with you in your garden! Such beautiful flowers. Love the clematis, too! You have a striking garden.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that you use the gardener's mantra-"Next year will be better"-thats what keeps us going isnt it? ;-)

    Im envious of the rain :we haven't had any significant rain in over 4 weeks here- I tried to dig a little today but it was just an exercise in making dust......

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a great looking bush in the first pic, bottom left hand corner. What is it, may I know?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonynous - That is an Oakleaf Hydrangea 'Snow Queen'. I love it, it got a bit beat up from our snow last winter and lost some branches, but bounced back pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That side pic of your path is so grand. I love to see it change through the seasons. And then your pansy pic made me want to go out and buy some. I've only got mums so far. That pumpkin color is one of my favs.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Catherine, your garden still looks amazing! I love the view of your path, looks great / gittan

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Catherine - a lovely tour round your garden today ....it's certainly looking very good right now and I just love your colour combinations too :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Seriously Catherine, when is your garden 'not' looking good!!? Just beautiful..

    ReplyDelete
  20. It all looks great. I love the color variations in your hydrangea leaves. That is just stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Catherine, how pretty is that anemone! I like the campanula too! We need a good rain now for all the transplanting I did yesterday...too tired to go water!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Catherine, isn't it grand how wonderful the garden looks after rain when the sun shines again? I love your blue pots but especially that preziosa, it has everything one could want in a plant! Yours is so well grown too, kudos! :-)
    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks like you have had some sunshine over there too! Seems like Summer has come at last! Would you like to share a picture of your little white dog, Canine garden helper for my forthcoming Matron's Dogblog? Any canine contributions would be welcome. xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your garden looks great. I like the garden walkway with the curved structure.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Really nice photo of the almost flowering clematis and I really like the campanula flowers!! I think that abelia is one of those underappreciated shrubs...the few we have in our neighborhood have a delicious fragrance...Won't next spring and summer be exciting when you get to see your new design! gail

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! You have a beautiful garden and wonderful photos. I love the Hydrangea 'preziosa'. It looks pretty in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Matron - I'm going to try to send a picture of my helper, I just have to find the right picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Isn't it glorious when the sun makes and unannounced appearance. What a walkway, Catherine!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such a lovely garden with pretty flowers - love those fushias and rose

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and leave a comment. I try my very best to answer any questions you may have, but usually don't have time to respond to each comment. Please leave a link to your blog so I can visit you in return.