"One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it brings."

Friday, September 11, 2009

Fertilizer Friday - Re blooming now in my garden.

The garden still has quite a bit blooming, but not really anything new in the last week or so.   Many of the flowers are re blooming now, these are ones I've cut back once or twice and are putting on a final show.  Taking the time to deadhead is definitely worth it, and I wish I would've done even more.  
I am getting ready to add some more plants with fall color.  This is a perfect time to see what areas are lacking, and I've been getting some great ideas from many of the garden blogs I read.  I'm ready for a trip to the nursery anytime now.  This year I'm trying more than just mums and asters, I'm going for some plants that have pretty colored fall foliage as well as the flowers.

Scabiosa 'Butterfly Blue' hasn't stopped blooming this summer.  I've notice the clumps have gotten quite big and are really spreading.  This is the first year I remember them not being covered in powdery mildew after their first bloom.

Knautia re blooming.  I love the color.  I've been letting it self seed and plan to move the babies around the garden.

Toadflax (Linaria) is also reblooming.  I cut all the spent flowers off about a month ago and now these fresh purple flowers cover the plant.

Salvia 'Black and Blue' is covered in buds ready for another bigger and better round of flowers.  I sure hope it will survive the winter, it's gotten really big in the last couple of weeks.

Pink 'Flower Carpet Rose'.  I lost track of how many times it has bloomed this summer.  Most of my other roses are either blooming or have a couple of buds showing.  Roses here will bloom well into the fall.

An unknown fuchsia that was supposed to be an annual about 3 years ago.  Not really a re bloomer, but it has been blooming all summer.  It comes back bigger and better every year now.  I moved it to it's own whiskey barrel so it has lots of space to grow.

I still haven't been able to get out in the yard this week other than to mow.  The urge to get in the backyard and start moving plants around is getting stronger.  I'm trying to be patient for just a little longer before I start musical plants.  I'd like to have a plan at least before I start with all the digging that will be involved.  
Now, join Tootsie at Tootsie Time for Fertilizer Friday to see lots more gardeners "flaunting their flowers."
Pin It

18 comments:

  1. Geez, everything is still spectacular. You have some interesting colors...Lovely. Um, plans for plants........could you teach me how to do that and stick with it? It won't be long and I'll be mailing your plant...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fuschia!!! I wish they were easier to grow here...still have not found a part of my garden that they like! thanks for linking in...and I will save you some seeds for sure!
    goodness knows there are a lot coming...unless the frost gets me first!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That knautia is so pretty. I've not seen it before. I'd let it self seed too. I've been moving plants left and right but trying to show restraint-and do a plan. I think I'll have to do the plan after they are all moved:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the pops of pinks and blues/lavender in your garden. The roses are so pretty. We are having rain today and it seems I am noticing more red in the leaves this weekend. Hope you have an enjoyable weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such beautiful colors, love the blues and purples!
    Happy FF!


    -Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful as always Catherine. I love that Knautia - I'd never heard of it before. Is your Salvia tender? You mentioned hoping it would survive the winter. Love the Toadflax too. You said Scabiosa has bloomed all summer - sounds like another good one for my wish list with high points like Red Valerian for a long blooming time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Purple and blue add a different touch to flowers. In a very positive way. they look different, lovely different!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really outstanding pictures today! Looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loverly!! I thought I had lost my black and blue salvia this spring, but it did make a late appearance. I absolutely adore that plant.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Catherine I have never seen nor heard of that knautia before. It's lovely.

    I wish I had a desire to get out in the garden. We are still having too much heat and humidity to get me in the mood.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Catherine, a gardener's work is never done. Good luck with the fall color plant selections. I can't to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You do have a lot blooming. And they are all so pretty. I know what you mean about wanting to move things, me too, but I am trying to wait so that I don't disturb the last bit of blooming

    ReplyDelete
  13. The 'Butterfly Blue' Scabiosa is so pretty. The color is great looking. A second (or even a third) bloom is a wonderful thing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Catherine! I'm going to order a hardy fuschia(for zone 6)I saw in a catalog recently...I love them in hanging baskets. It helps to deadhead, doesn't it...I have some roses still blooming too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your rebloomers, they're beautiful! The Kanutia is such a rich vibrant color.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We all go nuts this time of year cause we just gotta be patient. We gotta let everything finish and then regroup. I'm ready to pull a lot of stuff out but I got to wait on the butterflies. They are still feeding. The Monarchs are due to come through in good numbers but I've seen a few.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love all the flowers. i love scabiosa and just waiting for fall so that i could sow seeds of scabiosa caucasia.
    Fuchsia is annual here but not available at all. Even seeds are scarce.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The fun thing I enjoy about your blog is the many different blossoms you have and showcase! I'd love to see your garden in person!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and leave a comment. I try my very best to answer any questions you may have, but usually don't have time to respond to each comment. Please leave a link to your blog so I can visit you in return.