"One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it brings."

Friday, March 18, 2011

The pond in March.

There's been so much time spent in the front garden lately that I've been making it a point to take regular walks around the backyard to see what's happening back there.  The pond is looking good but the string algae is at the point where I need to be scooping it out more regularly.  This is normal for my pond in late winter/early spring.  Once it's a bit warmer that type of algae slows way down.  The Littlest Gardener and I were at the pet store looking at fish yesterday, they had a good selection of pond fish (inexpensive koi, sarassas, comets) but I'm going to wait at least another month until the pond gets a chance to get the good bacteria growing in the filter again.  I use a powder that is all natural enzymes that promotes the growth of beneficial bacteria.  It also contains barley which helps inhibit the growth of algae.

 The starts of tulips, Dutch iris and other bulbs are starting to show around the pond.  I notice far fewer iris reticulata blooming this year.  The Clematis that grows up the birdhouse post, trellis and shepherd's hook all have lots of new growth.  In the middle of the pond the bright green is the string algae.  Scooping it is on my to do list this weekend.

 The small planter around the waterfall was where I planted some small daylilies, I can't wait to see how they look this year since they were new last summer.

 White Bleeding Hearts (Dicentra spectabilis) are usually behind the pink ones, this year they are much further ahead.

 I planted fritillaria last year and am so excited to see these flowers.

 Daffodils are really taking their time opening, but they are getting close.

 Another flower I'm excited to see are the Gregii tulips I planted last fall.  I love the speckled foliage.

The weather is looking promising for the weekend, I hope we really do get some sun.  Hopefully we'll do some plant shopping for the front yard and maybe get some Sweet Pea and poppy seeds planted out front.  We finally had a couple of dry days, although they were cold and mostly overcast, at least the ground had a chance to dry a bit.  I'm beginning to think I lost quite a few plants this winter.  So far it looks like a David Austin rose, a hydrangea, a hellebore are probably dead and there are several other plants that are still missing. 
All words and photos in this post are property of A Gardener in Progress. Pin It

31 comments:

  1. It's so exciting when everything is popping up and getting ready to bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore your pond and all the signs of spring you share here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's interesting to see your pond in late winter/early Spring. Hooray for your new additions coming up and I do hope you are wrong about the plants you think may have moved on...happy gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photos, Catherine and the pond absolutely stole my attention on my page of all the new blog posts to be followed this evening! Holding thumbs for plenty of sunshine this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are right about at the same spot as me in the garden-the closest ever in these past years. Spring is near and your newly emerged plants look good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything is looking good, especially that white bleeding heart! None of my hydrangeas are showing any swelling buds yet either, I just figured they were late to start up. Maybe yours is too. Well, we can both keep hoping.

    There is a Northwest Perennial Alliance sale this weekend in Bellevue that I am planning to go to. I'm hoping to find some cool plants there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I kind of miss my pond. But I'd much rather look at yours. You're younger and can do the maintenance!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to hate battling string algae. Like you, it was always the worst before spring really began to warm up, then it practically disappeared. Your bleeding hearts look very happy. Ours, for some odd reason, didn't grow at all this year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. is a bit 'of time which I follow with great interest your blog! Congratulations you're converting its garden a beautiful place
    Simonetta
    x excuse the English

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking good !
    So nice to feel and see that Spring is coming.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad to know the string algae is normal right now. We put our pond in last October. .and haven't had trouble with it until now!! Seems like several times a day I am having to clear out my filter. .which isn't a problem. .unless I am not here!! Thanks for the reassurance that it will soon be gone!

    ReplyDelete
  12. your dicentra looks so happy... no snails, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope this weekend is a bit clear down here in Portland too. I really have a lot to do before I go to California for a week and I am so afraid of all of my seedling dying but so it goes...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your pond is going to be very beautiful especially when you see all the lovely blooms. I'm hoping to build a pond when we move to Idaho! It's too cold right now in the mountains and I can't wait until it warms up so I can start planting more outside. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Spring is wonderful, isn't it? I can't believe how big your bleeding hearts are already! I'd better check mine tomorrow and see how far along they are. ~~Rhonda :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Catherine, I was also out looking at the gardens. My hellabores are up about 6". But sadly we only have 3 fish survive the winter. It was over full last year and I guess this is mother natures way of keeping everything in balance. They were a welcome sight and hubby was happy to still have fish. Take care and have a great gardening weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Things are definately looking green and lovely in your garden. I am so jealous of the bleeding hearts. I'd love to have some here but I don't think they would be able to take the extreme heat.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The pond looks great, and so many signs of Spring there!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Catherine, your pond looks beautiful in the sun - even with the algae. Your Bleeding Hearts look so healthy and green. I saw some packaged bulbs (?) at Walmart yesterday, but I don't think they do well here. Too bad. Can't wait to see everything in your garden up and blooming. So happy my hydrangeas have leaf buds on them. They always worry me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your pond looks lovely!

    To reduce algae, we use a non-toxic colorant to create a UV filter and reduce algae in our stream and waterfall (our water is constantly moving). I can't remember the brand name, but it turns the water dark blue. Our stream is in full sun all day long, so algae is a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Catherine, I do love to see that pond. I can't wait to see all of you plants blooming around it.

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Catherine, my daffodils are slow this year too, tis a bit sad as they are my favorite spring bulb. I'm hoping to get my fingers in the dirt as well this weekend. The sun is currently out..finger x'd it will stay for the day :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your pond Catherine. I would love to have one, but we probably won't because of utility easements and tree roots. My daffodils have come and gone already. We're expecting a nice weekend here, so I'll be out gardening too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Green is good! So cool to see so much coming up... (Your front yard looks amazing)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Catherine, I always enjoy it when you post about your pond! I have to "live vicariously," as I'll never have a pond here. It's just beautiful and you continue to make things interesting! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, soon you will have your beautiful flowers again. I love your pond!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What i would give to have a pond! So lovely and i'll bet so pretty look at from your patio....? Excited to see the plants fill in around the pond in the next couple weeks! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  28. i can sit there for hours snapping pictures to get the best reflection... very nice!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and leave a comment. I try my very best to answer any questions you may have, but usually don't have time to respond to each comment. Please leave a link to your blog so I can visit you in return.