"One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it brings."

Monday, October 12, 2009

A trip to the pumpkin patch.

This past Friday the girls had no school and we decided it would be the perfect day for a trip to a pumpkin patch. We are lucky to live in an area that isn't far from one of my favorite towns, Snohomish. Earlier this summer I showed pictures of the Anitque Rose Farm in Snohomish. We also like to visit the antique shops in the historic part of the town as well as the little airfield that has a restaurant where you can watch skydivers. During the summer lots of farms in the valley have strawberry and blueberry u-pick fields. In the fall we like to visit one of the many pumpkin patches there. This time we chose to visit The Farm.

In front of the bakery (which had the best cinnamon rolls and cookies) were three of these huge pumpkins.

Not the best picture, but this shows the main entrance where there are several cute old outbuildings. There were many schoolkids here this day, it's a very popular place for field trips.

There are quite a few animals in pens to see and also an area with animals that can be pet. These pigs were pretty entertaining. There was one that seemed to be trying to find his way out.

This was a huge play area with lots to do in it.

This area was planted very nicely with lots of sun loving flowers. Just to the left was a gift shop that had a mix of new and antique items for sale. There is a large covered area next to the gift shop that looked like a place that could be rented for weddings.

Sweet Pea was wandering around here. Just behind her is part of the 12 acre Washington State corn maze. There are many small scale Washigton landmarks throughout it. The paths through the maze represent different highways, and as you go through there are Washington history questions that test your knowledge. Knowing the correct answer puts you on the right track to the next stop, incorrect answers may lead you to a dead end.

I couldn't not take a picture of these huge rose hips. The whole shrub was so pretty.

Just part of the view of the pumpkin patch with cornfields beyond. They had wheelbarrows to use to load big pumpkins in. I used ours to give the Littlest Gardener a ride in.

The views beyond the fields were beautiful. That is Mt. Baker in the background.

Sweet Pea and the Littlest Gardener spent a long time trying to find the right pumpkins. They had quite a few requirements the pumpkins had to meet. Sweet Pea showed me the pumpkin seeds she found and wants to try planting next year.

These are the pumpkins the girls chose. We'll be going back later this week with the Littlest Gardener's preschool to choose another one or two.

And this is what I can home with. I found this at the gift shop. I have no idea if it's an antique or not, but it was a great price compared to what I've seen these old ones being sold for in other places.

This is the front porch so far. There's definitely more to do, but it's off to a good start I think.

Visiting the pumpkin farm and enjoying the scenery along the way definitely put me in the mood for fall.
Pin It

29 comments:

  1. Oh, what fun! Thos pumpkins AR big! We are taking the kid-lings this Friday. We have such fun every year.

    Have a crisp warm autumn day. TTFN ~Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a really great place to go. I'll bet the girls had a ball there. Some really big pumpkins. And your porch is looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We so need to do a fall outing...looks like a fab place!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one huge pumpkin the girls are standing next. I believe both of the girls could easily fit inside of it. Wow! I like that rock wall and don't blame you for snapping a pic of the rose hips. They are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Catherine,

    What a wonderful day you all had! I love visiting the pumpkin patch, but wish we had a farm nearby like you do. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was quite a nice outing. The pumpkins are a nice color. Ours didn't turn very orange this year. They are selling greenish orange pumpkins. The cloud in the one picture reminded me of Mt. Rainier, but I bet your not in that area. The business with all of the pumpkin patches and corn maze really make the visit special.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for taking us along, Catherine, it was a delight. Your girls are so sweet and cute and such good pumkin connoisseurs. Yes, I had to look that one up. Love your watering can and the large boulder wall around the gift shop. The structure holding hanging things is a nice touch. Was it a drying rack of some kind? Your front porch looks grand, but needs more pumpkins. :-)
    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great day out. It's the kind of place that really captures kids imagination.

    What a fabulous view to the mountain.

    Beautiful part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun day Catherine, I love the little piggies. Whenever we go to the state fair I always go to the pig races. Too much fun!!! Those rose hips on the rugosa were bright and bold, just wonderful.
    So was that Rainier? First time I saw Rainier was the day I got my engagement ring!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an amazing pumpking patch complete with pigs and fun things to do! We have a pumpkin patch not far from our home, but it's not as fantastic as yours! Love your watering can, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing your trip; that is some amazing scenery in the background. I love the pumpkins you chose. Your porch looks very festive and I love the photo of the girls with the supersized pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now that was too much fun !!
    Can't imagine a 12 acre corn maze.
    Never been to a pumpkin patch...must get out more. ha
    Sounds and looks like a great day out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Catherine~~ What a lovely place. I also was wondering if that is Mt. Rainier in the background. Love the piglets and the rose hips look good enough to eat. Your front porch is looking very festive. Fall is definitely in the air. Nice find on the watering can, too by the way! I'd probably go nuts in that shop. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. Catherine those girls are so cute! They looked like they had a wonderful time. I wish we had some place like that to visit.

    Your front porch looks very festive!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Catherine,
    The last time I got on the computer in my husband's office, I evidently was on your blog when I logged off. This time, when it asked me if I wanted to save the tabs, I said I did, so when I got on today, there was your lovely blog!

    What a fun outing you and the girls had! I don't know which thing I would want to do first, but it might be checking out the gift shop. I love that watering can, and it looks awesome on your porch.

    I don't know if I've told you I like the look of your template, but I think I have said that I love your header photo.

    I hope we do have some mild fall weather, and not just the cold we are currently having.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I guess I should've mentioned which mountain that was. It's Mt. Baker which is to the north of Seattle.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fun place for the children and what an enormous pumpkin in the first shot.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful backdrop for a pumpkin patch. That looks like a great place to visit. The mountain view and the cinnamon rolls alone would be enough to get me to go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What huge pumpkins! I liked the idea of the maze- so educative for children.

    ReplyDelete
  20. We went to the pumpkin patch this weekend too with our little gardeners- so much fun and hilarious to watch them tromp through the fields looking for their special pumpkin! Thanks for sharing, it looked like a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Catherine I know I am supposed to comment on what a wonderful fall out that was and all but...Your girls were the most gorgeous thing there. They must bring so much richness and happiness to your life. It did look like a fantastic day and you made the trip before the weather turned so hooray for that!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sweet pea and littlest gardener seem to have had a lot of fun...I like the watering can and picture of little piggies.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Holy smokes that pumpkin is huge! I love the pics of the pigs... so cute! Looks like you all had a great day. -Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've not posted or read blogs for a while but I'm glad I didn't miss this post. What great photos. I especially luv the one of the field with Mt. Baker in the background. And....any photo of your girls is special.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Decorating porches is one of your customs that should be made compulsory this side of the pond :) It definitely makes things look more warm and cheerful at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  26. your front door looks so festive and pretty. course i love the watering can. and what a fun pumpkin patch. you sure have some vast open views there. can't believe those mountains.

    i'm writing in lower case cause i'm eating a icecream cone with the other hand.

    ReplyDelete
  27. hey flowergardengirl, if you subscribed to the followup comments, thanks for the idea. I frequently eat while I blog, too.

    ReplyDelete
  28. You always have the most beautiful pictures with your posts. We're going to Craven Farms in Snohomish this weekend -- can't wait! This really is my favorite time of year.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and leave a comment. I try my very best to answer any questions you may have, but usually don't have time to respond to each comment. Please leave a link to your blog so I can visit you in return.