"One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it brings."

Friday, October 23, 2009

Fertilizer Friday - Still going.

It's not as easy as it was a month ago to find a lot of flowers blooming. Nothing new is blooming now but there seem to be certain plants that just don't want to give up and continue to put out new flowers. Roses, Fuchsias (both annuals and hardy type), Dahlias, Zinnias, Cosmos and Red Valerian are all still going strong. Other plants like Verbena bonariensis and Cleome are finishing up and I'm leaving them so I can save seeds from them.

A fuchsia in one of the planters. They look so pretty covered in raindrops.

Geranium 'Rozanne', which was a recent addition, has quite a few new buds. I can't believe it took me so long to discover this plant!

Zinnia 'Green Envy' is becoming a little more yellow now.

Cosmos 'Sensation' show no sign of stopping blooming. The plants are huge and can't support their own weight anymore.

The unknown pink rose. I noticed a trail of pink petals on the way to school this morning. I think my oldest daughter must have sprinkled them as she walked to school.

I saw that this Dahlia has just started reblooming. It ended up getting covered by one of the huge Cosmos. Now that the Cosmos has flopped over this Dahlia is getting more sun and blooming once again.

I'm going to chance it again and not dig up the Dahlia tubers. I planted these a year or so ago and even after our very cold and wet fall and winter they still all came back.

I don't even remember planting this white one. I tend to plant pink Dahlias so I was surprised to find this one blooming this summer. There are a couple of other Dahlias blooming as well, but I'll save their pictures for another day.

Fertilizer Friday is hosted by Tootsie every week. Visit her to join in or see what else is blooming inside or outside other gardeners homes. It's going to be a fun challenge to see what I can find blooming outside each week.
Pin It

27 comments:

  1. Still going strong in your gardens. Love each and every photo here. What a beautiful trail of rose petals dropped by your daughter...I know it made you smile, it did me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What gorgeous photos. Love the comment of the trail of rose petals. How sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No fertilizer needed at your place. Wonderful pics!

    P.S. I have three parakeets. They are most demanding. Two came free from Freecycle but we bought one. Two of the three are tame and ride around the house on shoulders. Folks love to play with them. I once had zebra finches and adored those little guys with their sweet chirps. I actually think I like them better but had a hard taming those guys. Birds are great in the house. I had no idea you had some.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my god Catherine, how beautiful!!! It´s so great seeing some flowers are reblooming in your garden... those dalias are fabulous and so, so pretty!!! Your garden looks like being in spring right now!
    Have a wonderful weekend recolecting some seeds, I love to do that.
    Cariños
    María Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such lovely flowers, Catherine! I like the dahlias and the geranium.The raindrops add romance to the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Catherine, That is so sweet about the littlest gardener sprinkling rose petals. I love the dahlias; they are just picture perfect. Wishing you and your family a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Catherine,

    Well, you may not have anything new blooming, but your garden is still so beautiful. I just loved the Fuschia and roses!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Catherine. There's still lots to look at. Isn't nature wonderful?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Catherine I just love these pictures. There is just something about water drops on blooms that are so pretty.You still have some troopers in your garden. The pinks are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your flowers still look so nice even with all this rainy weather.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those Dahlias are just stunning, and wonderful to gaze upon. How do you store yours? I hope I did it right, this is the first year I grew Dahlias.
    Rosey

    ReplyDelete
  12. All of your flowers make me miss mine even more. Your fuschia is so beautiful as well as all the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oops, broke my fingernails trying to reach into my computer screen to touch these gorgeous blooms...gardening and photography are certainly your talents!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. girl...that fuchsia is unbeliveable!
    your flowers make me miss mine all the more!!! You have a gift with a camera and a very green thumb to go with!
    thanks for linking in today...I always love seeing your work!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rosey Pollen - I actually leave the tubers in the ground. Luckily they've almost all have come back. I hope you get lots of flowers on your next year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the fuschia and the pink dahlias. They are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amazing that you still have all that beauty growing in your garden! You have had a wonderful year of blossoms!

    ReplyDelete
  18. wonderfull photos!.. really nice!... good to know your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, look at all those pretty flowers and raindrops! I can't remember what zone the Pacific Northwest is. I dug up 2 of my 3 clumps, but left one, hoping it would come up in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Catherine, your blooms are beautiful and so is your blog.I loved your profile phrase-'the importance of being an individual' and this is what I what I wish to teach my lil one too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just like the energizer bunny, they just keep blooming. Beautiful shots, would make great posters commercially. The fuschia is really spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Amazing how you still have all of these blooming. The only things I still have are a few zinnias, mums, and montauk daisies. I love your pictures of the blooms with the droplets of water. -Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  23. The only thing blooming in my yard now is the autumn crocus; much of the rest is mushified.
    I love the coral-pink dahlia and am glad it's getting its chance to shine now that the cosmos have left the stage.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Catherine

    You have more blooms than me right now.

    I love that white dahlia.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That rose is so crisp and refreshing. Just spectacular photos. Your garden is a ray of sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You sure seem to be finding some pretty spectacular flowers in your garden. I am in love with...all of them. I can't pick just one. Catherine your garden looks just beautiful in fall.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such lovely flowers and the raindrops glisten in the sunlight make them even lovlier.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and leave a comment. I try my very best to answer any questions you may have, but usually don't have time to respond to each comment. Please leave a link to your blog so I can visit you in return.