"One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it brings."

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Park art.

Last week on one of our hot sunny days my sister and I took our kids to a spray park not too far from where we live.  A spray park is a large area with lots of fun sprinklers  and water spraying up from the ground.  A great way to cool off for kids and adults!  They also had a playground and petting farm there which the kids enjoyed.
Like most gardeners I was looking around at the flowers.  I noticed this beautiful planter right in front of the spray park and next to the playground.

It was about 10 feet long and 4 feet tall on each side.  The center had a large sculpture of children.

It is ceramic tile and must've been inlaid by the artist.  I just love all the birds, insects and flowers.  Each of the four sides were different.

It was filled with colorful annuals.  I wanted to get a shot of the whole thing, but people were sitting along the sides.  I'm sure they were already wondering what I was doing taking pictures of it.

I just love that a city park spent the money to have this beautiful piece of art put in an area where children play.  It will be colorful year round, and I'll be interested to see how they plant it in other seasons.
Pin It

21 comments:

  1. That is very unusual and beautiful. The patterns of bright colored shapes are done so well. It looks like it would fit in at a sprinkler park for kids. I think I would like to do the sprinkler experience myself and I haven't been a kid for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is just so cheerful and pretty. I love it and like you will be interested to see the different ways they plant it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Catherine,

    Wow this is inspiring. Perhaps I should learn to do these myself and quit my day job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How detailed and colorful! It is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is one gorgeous wall!!!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can just imagine the artist working on it. It is a beeee-uuuutiful piece. Glad you got some pictures you brave blogger you as I am sure those people were seriously wondering what all the attention to a planter was for:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's wonderful! I was thinking that too... beautiful all year around. Have you seen the artwork at Bradner Gardens Park (& P-Patch)? Especially the artwork in the "faciliies."

    Thanks for sharing!
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  8. the planter is amazing! and the park sounds pretty great too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The planter is beautiful. A spray park sounds like a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so lovely and beautiful..I enjoyed this colorful post so much..Thanks for sharing...Unseen Rajasthan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very pretty indeed. Can't imagine how long it took to create that planter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now I need to find a supplier for those awesome tiles. Maybe mosaics would be nice xmas gifts this year! Loved it~ spray parks are the best in the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful planter! I am inspired to try my hand at making a small one when I have time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is pretty Catherine. How nice that annuals were planted behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely ... nicely done, colorful and very bright. An excellent graffiti on nature.
    Its always tough taking pictures when people are crowding around... Some may give funny look wondering why are we taking shots at their backsides... huh!

    Happy Gardening
    ~bangchik

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice find, Catherine. I imagine that was a lot of work, too. It's very attractive.

    And petting farms are the greatest. Kids always enjoy that.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow. What a great piece of art in a public space. I think that public funding for art in public area's is money well spent

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, that's fabulous, just the kind of art that I love! I'd buy a flower pot like that if I could find it. Love it! I'd be just like you, taking photos of it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for showing that planter, it's amazing! Never heard of a spray park but we might just have to track that down. Lots and lots of time in the sprinkler this past week or so, including me sometimes! If I'm hot enough, I just go in with my clothes on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Catherine~~ What an amazing planter. I love the colors, the design, the concept. I wonder if the Park's Department would have info on the designer. Kudos to them and kudos to you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and leave a comment. I try my very best to answer any questions you may have, but usually don't have time to respond to each comment. Please leave a link to your blog so I can visit you in return.