"One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it brings."

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

It's raining!

Rain!  I'd almost forgotten about it.  Last evening it started raining while we were out doing some errands.  I noticed that people were casually walking to their cars not seeming to mind the rain getting them wet.  I'd forgotten what it smells like when it rains, that wet asphalt kind of smell.  I missed it.
When I woke up and looked outside I could already see a difference in the plants.

Dahlia freshly opened and shining in the rain.

Caryopteris 'Worcester Gold' seems more vibrant this morning with a good dose of rain.

Oriental Lily 'Tom Pouce' by the pond is filling up with raindrops.

Cimicifuga bud dripping in water.  This is the best year these plants have ever had, they're about 4 feet tall already.  I don't think they've ever bloomed in my garden.  Maybe they won't like the rain...

Cleome 'Rose Queen' has definitely perked up from yesterday before the rain.

The lilies are slow to open this morning because it's cloudy, but the pond was getting low from all of the dry weather.  I can only refill it so often, so now the fish will enjoy some fresh water.

The Asters have gone from droopy to standing tall.

A fuchsia I bought quite a few years ago for a container just keeps coming back.  It's got it's own whiskey barrel and practically fills it.  The flowers look fresher already, it had been looking dry no matter how much water I gave it.

It's amazing what this bit of rain can do for some very dehydrated plants.  This is the amount that fell in about 10 hours.  I was beginning to think this rain gauge would never get used.

Being a Pacific Northwestener I reserve the right to complain about the rain in about one week.  I've gotten used to so much sun the only complaint I had was having to water.  Now that it's been taken care of, I'll be anxiously awaiting the sun's return.
Pin It

27 comments:

  1. Nothing can compare to Vitamin G water..........God Water is wonderful stuff. Would like to see some around here, maybe tomorrow. Your plants look gorgeous with the rain droplets on them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rain is bringing renewal. The water looks good on a hot day. I could see people just walking out into and not caring a bit. Beautiful shots. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos!
    I a Pacific Northwest gardener as well. I'm on the southcoast of B.C.
    Yes, the rain was wonderful after the heatwave!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you got some rain to cool and perk up your garden. I just love pictures of flowers with raindrops on them. So pretty. We had rain also and I kept watching for a rainbow. Want to get a picture. I got a faint one but not good enough.I love to watch the rain until the lightening makes me move indoors.
    The lily with the raindrops is such a pretty one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like it was most welcome and refreshing Catherine :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your flowers definitely look happy. We are hoping for rain today or tomorrow. My flowers are drying out. Love your fuschia.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My gosh, Catherine, these photos are beautiful. I'd like to single out the Dahlia and the Oriental Lily. But the recurved Cimicifuga bud is equally worthy.

    I was so glad to hear that Gracie spends time with you at the computer. I know exactly what that's about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi catherine

    There's no substitute for rain. Watering with cans is OK but a good drop of rain, irreplaceable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Catherine~~ Yes, I had seen on the news that the rain was falling to the north. No such luck down here. It has clouded up a bit but I'll be pleasantly surprised if I see any drips. Your plants definitely look happy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When you're finished with the rain, please send some on to Georgia!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How nice you finally got some rain. The wet blooms are beautiful Catherine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Truer words cannot be spoken. That being said rain is awesome in all its forms-this from the dry southeast!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know you guys have an unusually hot summer up there....what we would to for some rain down here....I can just feel it looking at your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with Susie, your plants look so fresh with the rain drops. Catherine, you have just an amazing yard - it is all so very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are so right. It doesn't matter how much you water, there is nothing like a steady rain to put the oomph back in your plants. Beautiful photographs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great shots! When I came home today, I had to walk around and see how everything had been refreshed.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have rain and we have sun ~ maybe things are returning to "normal?!" Dare we hope?!! Your flowers do really look refreshed. I think there's nothing like a drink from Mother Nature for that.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just spent a good half hour browsing your garden as I've been long absent. Love all the color, the deck looks great, fabulous arch, and so much more. I think I may have the same 'Big Sky' Echinacea, but I'm loving the Tiki variety you have. Where'd you score that?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loved seeing how refreshed your garden plants looked after that rain. The dahlia was particularly fetching. I thought the cimis loved wet soil? That is why I haven't even tried to grow them, our summers are so dry and we have little shade anyway. Your flowers are lovely and well loved, it shows. :-)
    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank goodness you finally got rain. I'm sure your plants are breathing a sigh of relief. Rain water is just different from hydrant water, isn't it? We got rain yesterday too and it was beginning to get dry. We have more chances this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a perfect day for picture taking! It's been in the high 90s here lately, so your photos feel particularly refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love 'Tom Pouse'! What a beautiful lily!

    ReplyDelete
  23. We had a couple of days of rain this past week. It was great, except for the hail in our area - I now have plant leaves with holes in them. But the rain was worth it. As Kim says, there's nothing like a good rain for the garden; so much better than just being watered from the hose.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Catherine, your photography is wonderful! These blooms dripping with raindrops are so beautiful! You have a gorgeous garden.
    We've had so much rain this spring and summer, and cool temps, it's hardly felt like summer at all, but too much rain is much better than not enough. Glad you got some and hope you get lots more.
    I've loved catching up on your posts tonight.
    The dragonfly pics are fantastic!
    Love your dahlias!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wonderful flowers dripping in rain photos!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I do love the rain when I'm not out in it! It's been a little damp this summer here in the North West of england and our lawn needs a cut, but it's raining again! Ah well it's good for our allotment and we might have some beans to pick when we go over later on. Having an allotment means I now pay attention to the weather forecast so I can plan when I spend time over on the plot!

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's rained yesterday and today after some lovely weather so I'm not disappointed. The tomatoes in the greenhouse have taken the rain as a sign to grow like mad though!
    They've grown about 3 inches overnight!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and leave a comment. I try my very best to answer any questions you may have, but usually don't have time to respond to each comment. Please leave a link to your blog so I can visit you in return.