"One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it brings."

Monday, August 10, 2009

The crazy apple tree.

The house I grew up in was on a former apple orchard.  The builders left many of the apple trees, so most of the houses in the suburban neighborhood had a mature apple tree either in the front yard or backyard.  Our apple tree gave a lot to our family.  It was where my sisters and I would climb and hangout with our friends.  We had a rope swing that the previous owners had put up that we loved to swing on.  In the fall we had to help pick up all the apples that had fallen.  They were some type of apple used mostly for baking and there were always many left over to share with friends.  In the spring the apple tree would be covered in beautiful white flowers.  When my husband and I were married we had the ceremony in my parents backyard and my favorite picture of us is under that apple tree.
I wanted to have something similar in our backyard, but I knew we didn't have the space for a full size apple tree.  We found a dwarf, 5 way grafted apple that wasn't supposed to get more than 10 to 12 feet.   It was planted about 3 years ago where we could see it from the inside of our house.
Well, it has given us the fragrant white flowers that I hoped for, and it does give us apples, but it isn't quite the shape I was hoping for.

The way it was grafted, which we didn't notice at the time, was very unevenly.  Three of the grafts are practically on top of each other, while the other two are quite widely spaced from the other 3.

Since the tree is young, the branches aren't able to support all the apples.  One of the branches is actually on the ground, making it very easy for insects to enjoy the fruit.  We don't spray with any insecticides, so we just have to share with them.  We've propped up one of the low branches with a large stake.

Most of the labels of the branches fell off, so we don't know what we have.  I was sure that I would remember which branches were which.  The apples are always delicious though!  There are two grafts which have apples turning red.

The rest have green apples on them.  The tree naturally thins itself and has been dropping fruit lately, I'm sure some of it is because of how dry the weather has been, although I try to soak it once a week.

One graft has grown straight up, making me wonder just how we'll get them this year.  We've never had apples on that branch before.

These are some of the apples at the very top of the tree, at least 15 feet high already.

This year the tree has more apples on it than it ever has, and I don't see many signs of worms in them.  Both of the girls have already eaten at least one, but to me they don't taste ripe enough yet.  
I think we're going to have to look into pruning a grafted tree if we ever want it to have any sort of "normal" shape.  We've been hesitant to do much pruning since it was a new tree.  Even though this apple tree will never look anything like the tree I grew up with, at least it will give us pretty flowers in spring followed by delicious apples in late summer and all the while adding some real "interest" to the garden with it's crazy shape.
Pin It

21 comments:

  1. That is very interesting about your apple tree. I would love to see that wedding photo of you two under the apple tree at your parents house. The fruit on this new tree looks so healthy but it is a strange shape. Best wishes with pruning it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been sure about grafted trees, but yours looks good, strong and healthy - not sure I could cope with having red and green apples from the same tree though!
    We planted two apple trees last Autumn and they each have one apple on them - but I can't remember which was the eater and which was the cooker!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandfather told me that all appeltrees are ment to be pruned from the beginning even the onec that's grafted. But I'm not sure how when it comes to trees grafted with so many different kinds. I've been pruning both our trees from the start and after a few years they look great. Why don't you ask at the nersery? They should know how and when! Those apples do look god anyway / gittan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had an old German Baptist tell me once upon a time that apple trees do best when trimmed back very hard but you would have to look up "when to prune apple trees" to get it right. That produces some stout limbs that will carry the weight of a load of apples. My neighbor has done this for many years and now, in his mid-80s, his apples fall on the ground. The bees love 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your apple tree and the story of you growing up with them and saying your vows under one. It's great that your tree is producing some fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a hilarious looking tree - almost like a jester juggling balls with its limbs flailing about!

    It's so neat that you can get different kinds of apples from one tree, though!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool tree and it is so wonderful you could have a photograph under a tree you grew up with. Remember which branch was what? Ha! That's a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You could just say it's in rare form Catherine. I think that's pretty neat how you have different apples on the one tree.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an interesting apple tree. I haven't heard of the dwarf variety and it's interesting how you have different varieties grafted in. It does look like it's producing wonderful fruit! And I agree, it would be fun to see your wedding picture under your parents apple tree!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a treasure, having green and red apples on the same tree. Pruning is an art to put tree into proper shape. It is also a test on our decisiveness as well... haha. Pruning tree as tall as your apple tree is very tough, not in the work itself but the decision to make....
    Happy Pruning Later.
    ~bangchik

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful story about that apple tree in your life. This newer tree looks like fun!!! You post remind me of that wonderful book, "The Giving Tree" by Shel Silverstein. Take a look at it next time you are at the library, it's really cool. Great post - happy crunching! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  12. That IS a crazy apple tree, but I love your reason for having it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know next to nothing about apples trees but I love that you have 5 kinds on one convenient tree. Good luck getting it to the shape you like~

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow..your apples are wayyyyy ahead of ours in growth! But they look delicious. Don't worry about getting those apples from the top...they will fall off when they ripen.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I laughed so hard when I saw the photo of your tree. You set us up perfectly for that. We also had a home built on what had been an apple orchard. Apple Blossom Court. Also had pear trees. Do you remember all the bees and wasps that would be on the over ripe fruit on the ground?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like your sentimental reason for planting an apple tree too Catherine. I never knew they sold trees with that many grafts on them! Wow. If it were mine, I'd definitely want to research how to prune it so I didn't mess up the grafts. I can see why you'd like to shape it up a bit. At least it's a prolific producer. That's amazing and it's done incredibly well in your garden that's for sure. LOL on remembering which grafts were which ~ I would think that too then so not be able to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is amazing that so many varieties grown on one tree. At some time I bet you get another variety from all that pollinating activity.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We have a very old apple tree on the property, probably about 50 years old. It still produces fruit, the cooking kind of apple which are good for pies etc.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your grow-up neighborhood with all of the apple trees sounds wonderful. Your current apple tree, even with its "crazy" shape, has some beautiful apples on it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very nice story Catherine about that tree in your parents' garden. Good memories. I've never heard about a tree that has so many varieties of fruit! I don't even try to plant fruit trees, it's something like a rocket science for me. No, wait, I planted a peach tree once, and it died soon after. Does your tree look weird or not, the apples look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This post is long ago but I thought I would comment as people for years to come may come across the page searching for apple tree information and such.

    Catherine, I would love to see a picture today, I hope it is well. Many people do not realize that when grafting, you are grafting a little piece that will grow straight up, and thus multis are trained when young, in the ground. One needs to use spacers between branches and/or wiring to pull down/back young branches until they are evenly spaced. Also, it is better to thin the fruit on the tree than to prop it up like that. One last observation, the tree was badly in need of pruning, trimming most shoots back s third to half would have been good.

    A good website for anyone looking to train fruit trees is www.davewilson.com. I hope I have given someone helpful advice on something here...lol. We are all gardeners learning and loving it. Bless.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and leave a comment. I try my very best to answer any questions you may have, but usually don't have time to respond to each comment. Please leave a link to your blog so I can visit you in return.