"One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it brings."

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Summers past...

Oh, another cold and frosty day.  Forecast of possible snow this weekend.  I needed to feel warm this morning.  I looked back at some pictures of my gardens from the past few summers.  Hope you will feel warmer too!
This is the front of the cottage garden area.  It's full of a variety of perennials and shrubs.  The pink carpet rose in front blooms nonstop spring through summer.  I continue to prune it back which seems to encourage more blooms. The tree right above it is a weeping cherry.  The taller tree further back is a pink flowering dogwood.  Gorgeous in the spring covered in flowers.
Here is the beginning of the backyard facing the pond.  This 'Summer Ice' daphne blooms spring through summer.  Lining the edges of that bed is catmint.  It does attract the neighbors cats, but it's tough and always bounces back.  There is an oakleaf hydrangea, a dwarf variety, across the path with a monkshood not too far behind it.  This area gets morning shade and several hours of afternoon sun.
Here is my favorite part of the garden, our pond.  I'll have to post sometime about how we put it in.  There was a lot of hard work involved, but well worth it.  It is situated in our yard where we can view it from our dining room.  I can even watch the fish from inside our home.  Our apple tree is just out of view to the right.  My hope is that the branches will grow out about halfway across the pond.  When it's in bloom it's beautiful.  Many perennials grow around the pond.  A large hardy fuchsia grows to the left of the waterfall.  You can also see yarrow and hyssop here.  The very large pink shrub is a favorite of mine.  It was bought in a one gallon container and grew this large in two years.  It is lavatera 'Barnsley', sometimes referred to as tree mallow.  I cut it back to about 3 feet every fall, by the end of the summer it's at least 6 feet tall, and covered with flowers.
Here is a close up of the lavatera.  I highly recommend this one.
These plants are growing along side the shadier part of the pond.  Many varieties of hosta, astillbe, and ferns.  The pink flowers come from an unknown variety of oxalis that was given to me by a former neighbor.  It is so easy to divide and flowers all summer and fall.
I can't wait to show these flowers when they are actually in bloom, that means it'll be warm!
Pin It

11 comments:

  1. Hi Catherine. Wonderful pictures. They make me hungry for summer. I love my lavatera and daphne too. Great minds think alike.

    If you don't mind me asking, where in the PNW are you located? (Approx.) I'm in western Oregon's Willamette Valley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace - thanks! We are in the Puget Sound area. Isn't the Willamette wine country?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, they are all so pretty. I enlarged them to get a better looksie. I can't grow Daphne and am jealous that yours looks so good. I do love lavatara and phlox. I see you have some Black Eyed Susans and I'll be getting some for my new home. You shady area is well done. I've got a great deal of amending to do before they will grow in my new beds.

    Have you seen bees at your bird bath? I think the bees drink more than the birds for my garden. I didn't even know bees drank water from a bird bath. I guess I thought they got enough moisture from the flowers they frequent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. You've got a real cottage garden feel there.

    I love trees with a weeping habit. Your Cherry tree has got me thinking as I have an area that I want to plant up with trees.

    Lavertera is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. flowergardengirl - thanks! The bees do go to the bird baths and pond occasionally, unfortunately the yellow jackets are there more.
    Rob - I love the weeping trees too. This one hasn't gotten much taller, just fuller. It does get very tiny cherries that the birds love. Thanks for the compliments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The gardener may be in progress but the garden looks as if it's arrived!

    The area around the pond looks lovely: elegant and peaceful - and the way the plants reach out over the path is delightful.

    And thank you for the fave on Blotanical!

    Lucy Corrander

    ReplyDelete
  7. The lavatera IS lovely, and I especially like the first photo in the post. If you're getting snow this weekend, I guess we'll probably get some next week when the clouds make it over here. Great :-( We were enjoying the respite from snow shoveling!
    Regards, VW

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Catherine, You have already 'progressed'!! But I supposed there is never an end to growing, so your title is a good one. I'm in awe of your garden. When I first saw your blog I knew it was one I wanted to remember (or have, for that matter)! I used to have a pond in my backyard with perennials all around it, surrounded by astone wall. It's been removed since, (long story) but my husband & I are now wanting to put one in again. Maybe this year, even.
    Too bad you didn't do the Desert Island challenge...more people would visit your blog that way. I'm quite glad that I did!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Catherine ~ Your gardens are beautiful, lush and peaceful. Pretty soon, you'll be out playing in them once again. I know you are looking forward to that.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lucy-thank you for the compliments.

    VW-I do love that lavatera, you can't kill it, another plus!
    Maybe the snow will bypass us both.

    Jan-You're right, no end to growing. I'm continually moving things around and trying to get things "just right". Your pond sounds like it was pretty. I have to say I'm so glad to have it, and the enjoyment it brings my family.
    I thought about the Desert Island challenge, but just couldn't narrow it down :)

    FlowerLady- thanks, we sure are looking forward to it, just like the rest of us gardeners I'm sure:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and leave a comment. I try my very best to answer any questions you may have, but usually don't have time to respond to each comment. Please leave a link to your blog so I can visit you in return.