"One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it brings."

Thursday, January 15, 2009

My contribution to Bloom Day.

After seeing all the cheerful and colorful flowers on so many garden blogs today I thought it would be fun to join in on the sharing.  Carol at May Dreams Gardens has declared January 15th "Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day".  What a great way to inspire and give us all hope that spring is coming.
I found this quote on the back of Garden Gate magazine.  

"No matter how long the winter, spring is sure to follow" - proverb from Guinea.  

Hopefully these flowers help us to remember that.
The first blooms I found are some bedraggled pansies.  I thought they looked pretty good considering they made it through 2 feet of snow not all that long ago.

Then I found a sweet pink primrose just showing it's first few buds.

One more pretty bloom is this pink hellebore, the first of many blooms to come.  She is loaded with more buds waiting to open.

What a great way to discover blooms I didn't even realize were there.  I also saw so many buds ready to open in the next few weeks.  My camellias, clematis armandii, winter daphne and winter hazel are all showing signs that they will be showing their colors soon.  
Pin It

11 comments:

  1. Ohmygoodness. You've had two feet of snow and it's gone and now you're seeing blossoms? Wow! I'm impressed. (I hope the snow doesn't return, for all your sakes.) Thanks for your visit! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - so you not only have blooms but lots of buds?! We're under snow here in NY, but I just bought some primroses to keep inside. I also planted hellebore and can't wait to see the first blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, your blooms/buds etc, are just gorgeous to look at:) Every photo reminds me of spring...what's more, they are not "last year's" photos, they are in the present. You are very fortunate; I wish I could say the same for my garden, but unfortunately there are no blooms there just yet:( This is a beautiful post!
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful flowers and great photography skills. Flowers, however diminutive, are so special right now especially with so much of the country suffering under Jack Frost's tyranny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did find some, didn't you! I cannot think of any and haven't gone looking this time. I will have to plan for next month.
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have had the honor of watching your garden become an oasis. Your garden is just like you are.... blooming with beauty. Thanks for inspiring me. You know my whole side garden is all plants from you and when I walk our there and see the flowers I am reminded of you. My TiTi garden!
    Loving you blog sissy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. TWO FEET :O! Poor Pansies went through hell I guess, but are so grateful to greet you with their cutie-faced blooms!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all the nice compliments. It's surprising what a little color from a flower or two will do to lift your spirits on these gray days! Now I know why they are called "winter pansies" they sure are tough. There are still mounds of snow on some streets around our neighborhood. Hope we don't see that much again for a very long time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for posting that quote about spring coming no matter how long the winter is. Something inside me felt uplifted by reading that! Lovely flowers, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I cannot believe the beautiful blooms you have after 2 feet of snow.I sent for Primrose seeds and I am excited to get some growing.Your Pansy's are so pretty.
    Lona

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll join others in being amazed that after having two feet of snow, you still have blooms in your garden.

    A great addition to bloom day, thanks for joining in.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and leave a comment. I try my very best to answer any questions you may have, but usually don't have time to respond to each comment. Please leave a link to your blog so I can visit you in return.