"One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it brings."

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Outside today...

I wandered around today before the wind started up, to see that many of my hellebores have started to get buds on them.  I have a whole bed of them right in front on the house, in a very shady area that gets little water.  I tried many different plants there when we first moved in but nothing really grew.  This area is right as you come to our front door, so I wanted something evergreen, but nothing big that would block our front window.  I first saw hellebores before I knew what they were, I just knew I loved how they looked.  About 6 years or so ago our pediatrician heard a heart murmur in our oldest daughter and referred us to a cardiologist at Children's Hospital.  They had many hellebores growing in a shady entryway, mixed with other shade loving perennials.  Thankfully, everything turned out fine with our daughter, and now every time I see these hellebores I think about how worried we were and how lucky we are that she is healthy.  It is another one of my memories in my garden.

The Corsican hellebore below was a seedling from one of my best garden friends.  She and I share a lot of plants with each other.  She gave me quite a few of these and they have all grown huge.  These ones seem to prefer more sun than the Lenten Rose type we have in our shady front yard.  

 One not so great observance I made outside today was a heron in our pond.  I've seen them fly over for years because we live near wetlands that they nest in.  I've always thought our pond was too small to attract them, but now I know it's not.  I couldn't believe how tall it was, at least 4 feet.  I tried to see if any fish were missing, but did see at least 2 swimming, one of which was a koi that's been there for one year.  It looks like I'll need to try some netting, maybe it'll deter the raccoons as well.
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Hi there, just found your blog! I am putting together a Seattle-area garden bloggers' get-together and wonder if you'd be interested in attending? Just trying to put faces to avatars here, casual get-together at the Miller Library at UW. You can find all the details here: http://greenwalks.wordpress.com/2009/01/05/were-on/ Happy New Year! - Karen/Greenwalks

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and leave a comment. I try my very best to answer any questions you may have, but usually don't have time to respond to each comment. Please leave a link to your blog so I can visit you in return.