"One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it brings."

Thursday, February 10, 2011

More front garden progress and an Eagle sighting!

Today was day 3 of working on the front border and creating the path that will go through it.  I was so happy to get finished with this part of it.  After finishing probably the hardest part of it yesterday I was so exhausted I could hardly move, I don't remember feeling that tired in a long time.  The good part of working that hard yesterday was that I finished the remainder of the work in under 2 hours today, and it was probably the easiest part of what needed to get done.

It's hard to tell here but the sun was out and shining with bright blue skies, it had gotten shady by the time I was able to get the pictures taken.  I ran out of edging stones for the left part of the border so I'll need to make a trip for about 11 more of them.  Once they are in I can back fill with the soil that's piled up and plant the rest of the plants.  Some of the soil in the middle of the new path area will need to be wheelbarrowed to another part of the yard to make it level here, but that can wait for now.

It feels so good to have this part done!  All that's left are to stack on the missing edging stones.

Here the bed came all the way to the driveway so I moved all those edgers and the huge Flower Carpet rose that was here.  I cut the rose down to about a third of the size it was and moved the Knautia that had been here in front of it.

If you saw the previous post you would know that I had found that Gracie was watching me from inside, her little face was peeking out the window.  Today she stayed outside and enjoyed the sun with me, but as we went to the backyard I looked up and saw that we had something else watching us today.  This beautiful Bald Eagle was circling just above our yard and the schoolyard behind us.  I've never seen one this close to us, the closest was a good mile or so away, nearer to the small river that runs through our town.

I only wish I had a camera capable of getting some really good pictures.  I called the Littlest Gardener out to look and also noticed that the kids in the school playground were also excitedly watching the eagle.  Seeing Bald Eagles is so exciting to me now since I remember as a kid them being on the endangered species list.  It was just 3 1/2 years ago (June 2007) that they were taken off that list.

Our next project for the front yard will be to build the raised beds where the vegetable and herb gardens will be.  I think tomorrow will be our last sunny day for awhile so we'll be working on the beds in the garage.  I also hope to get the new grow lights set up so I can get some seeds started indoors.
Pin It

27 comments:

  1. It's looking good! Yay for seeing an eagle! I've never seen one. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so good to see the progress you're making every day! Sorry to hear you did yourself in yesterday with all the digging. But, fortunately, that was the hardest part. Are you going to sow grass in the new path that connects the two areas?

    I am impressed with those photos of the eagle! It looks amazing with all that clear blue sky in back of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good Catherine. I'll bet you have been tired doing all of that back breaking work. Great pictures of the eagle.
    Thanks for the offer of Hellebore - I went out and did a little today and it's getting ready to open up. They must have been ready to show the other day and I just didn't see them. It doesn't have many though probably because I didn't cut it. It is the Lenten Rose type that you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Catherine, what a majestic bird. I wonder what he was hunting for. I LOVE your front yard redux. I bet you've slept great the past few nights. Hasn't this weather been awesome? Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love seeing Bald Eagles! I know what you mean about getting good pictures of birds on the wing. I think your photo is good.
    Your garden is coming along nicely. I love the stone wall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm enjoying following your progress...you inspire me...we are to have some sunny weather this weekend and I hope to get out there and start some of the projects I need to get done! Beautiful creature you spotted - so majestic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alison - We are actually taking out the grass. The front grass will have flower beds around the picket fence and two raised beds. The inner area will be crushed gravel - I'm going to call it a courtyard :)

    Linda - Glad you found your hellebore close to blooming.

    Grace - This weather has been just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Things seem to be coming along well, Catherine. I think a gravel path will be a great addition, as will the extra beds. The trend is to do away with as much grass as possible, at least where I live, anyway, as it guzzles water and needs so much attention to keep it looking good.

    Eagles are such majestic birds. What a lovely sighting had graced your world today :) So glad Gracie also got to enjoy the sunshine with you! Our dogs always want to be right there (& sometimes underfoot!) whenever I'm out gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been envious of your good weather until today that is...we have the big sunshine ball for the next 5 days...so, so, tired of the rain. Okay your front area looks wonderful, what hard work....it will be so worth it when you can sit back in the spring and eye your labor! The fence goes out front too, right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lucky you on seeing and getting some great shots of the eagle. What a treat! Your front garden looks so good. That black soil is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your front garden is all starting to take shape and look really good now! I'm quite envious as our ground is still way too sodden to be able to work easily and I'm desperate to get out there and get digging!
    Have a great weekend - I hope you get lots more done to show us!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your garden is looking really nice -- you're going to feel so good about it when spring is in full throes. I get excited about the bald eagles, too. I hope the same thing eventually happens with our bats.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Catherine, Your progress is really evident now...it is so satisfying when things start to make the shapes that one has pictured in one's mind. Just think...it will soon be time to plant...then the fun can really begin.

    A bald Eagle...how wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love building a new garden bed, this is going to be fabulous. I wish I had little garden helpers like you do, what an asset!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Seeing an eagle would be exciting! I've never glimpsed one. Feels good to get some of the hardscaping done, doesn't it? I'm glad this year that part is behind me.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic - huge progress on front garden and a Bald Eagle, what more can you ask for. Looking forward to the next progress report

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great work! The weather sure was perfect to get that kind of work done...unfortunately I had other things planned and didn't get to do much in the garden. So, I'm glad I got to live vicariously through you the past few days! I can not wait to see your new garden set up come early summer!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You've made some wonderful progress on your garden bed remodel this week! It's really taking shape! I saw the eagle on your Facebook post yesterday, and have to admit, I'm rather jealous. A fabulous sighting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. YIPPPPPEEEEE! All this and an eagle too? Is this your lucky week?

    Ok, I know we should have your actual address, but could you send it along in a private e-mail and I'll mail the first Grimy Hands Girl's Club goodie to you.

    Love to you and your little gardeners,

    Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love to watch birds of prey--I am forever stopping to look up... and as I look around, no one else watches the sky. They are missing out! Havent been reading recently--so now I am off to check out the work you have been doing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful photo of the eagle. You did well.

    ReplyDelete
  22. wonderful progress and what a treat to see and photograph an eagle...

    ReplyDelete
  23. So nice to be able to work in your garden...here, we are truly buried in snow. I mean that literally...with no end in sight.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Catherine,

    Pretty exciting seeing the eagle that close up. My neighbor says they saw a Bald Eagle here 'before' we moved in.

    Looks like you have done a nice job to the garden bed.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Catherine, I can't believe how much progress you've made in just 3 days! It's really looking good. I'm getting vicarious pleasure from all your hard work, because it will be weeks yet before I can get out and start working in the garden. -Jean

    ReplyDelete
  26. My gosh this is a big project! My back and neck hurt for you just thinking about it!! Can't wait to see the outcome.

    I think the eagle pics are great! We supposedly have them in MS, but I have never seen one.

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's always so satisfying to make progress on a project. Yes, you get tired, but it's a good kind of tired, which comes from knowing a job has been well done. Amazing eagle photos!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and leave a comment. I try my very best to answer any questions you may have, but usually don't have time to respond to each comment. Please leave a link to your blog so I can visit you in return.