"One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it brings."

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

February Garden Bloggers Bloom Day.

It's hard to believe we're half way through February already and it's time for another bloom day post.  With all the work we've been doing in our front yard I've barely had a chance to look at anything else in the garden.  I did look back at last February's bloom day post and saw that Camellias and Daffodil Tete-a-tetes were already blooming.  Quite a few plants are behind right now.  We've had heavy rain and wind the last few days and now there is the possible chance of snow this week.  It seems as the snow is starting to melt on the East coast that it's now getting colder and wetter on the West coast.  Next week is when we hope to make lots of progress on the front yard and I sure hope the weather will cooperate, but I guess there's not a lot I can do about it.


 Hellebore 'Red Lady' blooms in a wine barrel.

 Iris reticulatas caught me by surprise even though they are right on time.

 Pulmonarias will be blooming for at least another month.  I love everything about this plant.

 Crocuses also surprised me.  I moved lots of them as I rearranged the front bed, they are in a much better spot now instead of under plants and behind trees.  These purple ones are the only ones blooming though so far.

 This poor Anemone blanda has gotten quite beat up by all the walking over/on it.

And of course Pansies are blooming all over the place.

Also blooming still are the Sarcococcas, double Hellebores, Primroses and Violas.
Join Carol at May Dreams Gardens to see what she and other gardeners around the world have blooming today or to join in with your own blooms. Pin It

25 comments:

  1. Your Red Lady is so happy looking. You have quite a bit blooming, all pretty. The yellow crocus bloom first here...waiting on the purple and the white ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it's so nice to see all those flowers blooming. Even if I know that it won't bee loong until they do the very same thing in my on garden it's hard to wait. But I'm glad that the snow we had for such a long time finaly dissapeared / gittan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to see your photos from relatively balmy WA, especially 'Red Lady', great color. I am in snow-covered Pennsylvania, but the temperature suddenly shot up and I managed to find some flowers outside. Happy GBBD, Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a lovely variety of plants blooming at the moment. Here it's mostly daffodils. You're actually lucky your tete-a-tetes are a little slow this winter. Yesterday's rain knocked most of our blooming daffs flat to the ground :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your pics!!! I am anxiously awaiting mine to pop up.. Love the red lady where do I find this?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pix, especially those lovely blues of the iris and pulmonaria - I love everything about that plant too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Catherine,

    I always love to stop by and visit on Garden Blogger's Bloom Day. You do have quite a few flowers despite the cold winter. I especially love the purple colors :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You really do have so much color this time of the year. I especially love the Iris reticulatas (didn't even know there was such a tiny Iris). I don't have many late winter/early spring bloomers. I definitely want to plant some bulbs this fall. I love crocuses as well. They just remind me of little fairy flowers, especially when a whole clump of them are in bloom together! Great pics, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the Red Lady. Pretty blooms. Hope the weather holds out for your work on the front gardens. Have a nice day Catherine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gosh I should get myself outside and check out my blooms but darn if the weather isn't inhospitable. Your blooms brighten my otherwise gloomy day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Deanna - I found this Hellebore at the grocery store of all places :) Every so often they get some really nice perennials.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your blooms, especially the blue/purples, brightened my day. Too snowy here for color, but nice to see it around the country. Happy GBBD.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the comment Catherine. I haven't taken multi vitamins in more than a year. I'm gonna get me some and see if that makes a difference. Probably buying me a new statue for the garden might do too...maybe...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great pictures Catherine......spring is coming love it !!! love Ria...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Catherine, I read both of last two posts, you all are not going to recognize your front yard come sumemr!! What a grand under taking to take out all that sod. wow
    I love your blooms for today. With my shade I am really craving some Pulmonaria and more Hellebore! Your collection is great.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Catherine, I am getting so excited looking at your blooms. My Reggie dog was so excited todays that he actually saw something green under the snow, sniff, sniff, sniff!

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your pictures make me soooo jealous. the ice is just starting to melt off my yard, and I know I've probably got another 6-8 weeks before we will be anywhere near ready to start planting. Beautiful pics though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Catherine,

    Red lady was our first hellebore plant along with Blue lady. I can not tell them apart. Yours is redder than mine for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Catherine. I love the colour of your Hellebore, its so pure. Thanks for visiting my Italian Cuisine blog but I really meant the link to go to my gardening blog, hope you find time to visit that too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your 'Red Lady' and the Pulmonaria, but it is the purple crocus that has stolen my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It is so good to see someone getting some beautiful blooms in the garden. I love the little iris Catherine.It is hard to believe your pulmonaira is blooming already.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You've got lots blooming! Looking forward to seeing the continued progress of your front beds.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love that hellebore! You are a harbinger of spring. I cannot wait to see the snow melt here but that may take some time. Look so forward to seeing your new front garden this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the raised bed. I can't wait to see what you grow in it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and leave a comment. I try my very best to answer any questions you may have, but usually don't have time to respond to each comment. Please leave a link to your blog so I can visit you in return.