"One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it brings."

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Finally some time in the garden!

This week the kids are out for mid-winter break.  It seems like they've been home from school more than in school this year between winter break, teacher days off, snow days and now another break.  Anyway, we've been having fun, but I've been hoping to spend some time outside this week in between all of their social outings.  The weather up until today has been pretty miserable so I guess it worked out for the best.  During this break last year we spent it out front ripping up our grass, building raised beds and putting in a picket fence.  This time I just got to go out and have fun.

 The Littlest Gardener decided to move her fairy garden out front under a Lavatera bush.  I think it looks very cute.  Soon I will be planting a small David Austin rose that I ordered in that open spot.  The fairies will have to be careful not to get poked.

 Along the opposite part of the yard I planted a new bare root David Austin rose 'Benjamin Britten'.  This is where the Delphiniums are returning and I think it should look very pretty together, not to mention when the Clematis on the trellis is blooming too.

 A couple of weeks ago my husband and I transplanted all of what was already there after we added some nice new compost.  If you remember we found that the soil delivered last year when we built this was the wrong kind and the plants really struggled.  Today I direct sowed some lettuce, radishes, snow peas and tons of sweet peas after seeing that Jenni was having luck with her seeds already.

 I think this might be the prettiest Primula I've ever seen.  The picture does not do it justice.  It is called 'Victoriana Gold Lace'.

 Hellebore 'Pink Frost' which was added last year is covered in flowers.  The Hellebore 'Pink Marble' that was planted at the same time looks terrible, no new growth and no flowers.  They are in the same area, not sure what's going on.

 The birdhouse on this potting bench on the front porch seems to be the chosen home for a pair of Bewicks Wrens.  They've been working on it for about a week now.  In the backyard I saw a pair of Chickadees checking out a birdhouse.

 In the backyard the Pink Flowering Currants (Ribes sanguineum) are getting closer to blooming.

 Clematis 'Nelly Moser' has lots of new growth as do most of the Clematises.

 Old-fashioned Bleeding Hearts are coming up.  If you look closely you will see the whitish looking flowerbuds already forming.

 Last year after Sweet Pea's other rabbit Cookie died we made a small garden for him.  She chose this pretty Hellebore off the clearance rack, it's called 'Cotton Candy'.

 While checking on the blueberries I found that the Littlest Gardener has turned this bed into a play area.  She likes to make pies, etc.  It can be planted next year I guess.

 Plants in the pond are beginning to send up new growth.  They need some cleaning up but I'm not brave enough to stick my hands in that cold water yet to prune them.

The roses also got pruned today.  I usually prune them after President's Day.  It felt so good to spend some time outside!
All words and photos in this post are property of A Gardener in Progress. Pin It

39 comments:

  1. Has it really been a year since you built the front raised beds? You will have such nice things from them this year. I like the fairy garden up front too. The littlest gardener know what her fairies want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Looks like there's plenty going on now!

    I think it's time for me to also get out in the garden and get pruning the roses and trimming other plants! Plenty for me to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Catherine,
    Cool you have primroses and they are very pretty, ours don't have buds yet. We lost Pink Frost, glad to hear yours is doing great. I think we have Cotton Candy, purchased for $8 last year, no sign of blooms yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so nice to see spring growth. We are expecting six inches of snow tonight but temps are going above freezing right away so it won't be here long!

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your gardens are miles ahead of us. I was just reading about that little primula in the Canadian Gardener magazine this morning. It would be too dry and sunny here for it but it looks so darling in yours. V

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aren't those first few days out in the garden after winter just the best! It's like saying hi to an old friend you you've been wanting to catch up with! So glad to see everything is looking good...it should really start to take off in the next month or so :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay...your countdown to Spring banner says 24 days to go, but from your photos...Spring has clearly already sprung in your area! Incredible! Gorgeous color already and love the plans for the new roses!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm always so interested to see how much farther ahead you are than me, my bleeding hearts are still just nubs sticking up out of the ground. I'm glad you had a day to play outside. The Littlest Gardener's play area is so cute, it would break my heart to evict her. I used to have to clean my pond in the early spring too, and it takes a lot of nerve to stick your hands in that cold, murky water. It used to make my bones and joints ache. That Hellebore is so pretty, this year I just have to get some doubles!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Catherine,
    Spring has begun your way, and I am excited to see that! I like the Littlest Gardener's fairy garden, and her play area in her raised bed. I have a nice sized area of dirt in my garden across the street that our grandson likes to dig in.

    I love your primulas and hellebores!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh it must feel so good to get outside to play in the dirt. I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your fence, & it must be very exciting watching all that new growth popping up everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the tour! I really enjoyed it. We have over a foot of snow and it is a blizzard right now. I needed some spring.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everything looks ready to burst into bloom...cute fairy garden and stunning primula...I want a potting bench and yours is wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That primula is amazing! We've had some nice days here too, and I've been enjoying being outside pruning.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I bought 'Cotton Candy' at the show! It's lovely. I can't wait until it blooms for me (probably not until next year).

    ReplyDelete
  16. so nice !! spring is in the air.....yes yes yes!!!...xxx..

    ReplyDelete
  17. Spring is in the air i love that Primula I once went to a old house and she had a primula theatre in her garden a bit like this http://www.studiogblog.com/plants-natives/plants/make-an-auricula-primula-garden-theater/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great post Catherine ~ Glad you are all enjoying being outside in some pleasant weather, working or playing in your gardens. As always it all looks good to me and will continue to grow and be beautiful as the season progresses.

    Have a great weekend ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the little fairie( fairy) garden in the first pictures. One day there won't be any fairy-caretaker
    -she'll be off on her own. Luke's tree fort bugs me, but I know it is only for a short time and then it will be quiet or maybe even torn down . You know,a s you don't mind her pots and pans either in your beds. Nice post, thanks, Gina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gina- I've thought that same thing. There are days that jump ropes and things are hanging out of trees and toys are all over the yard and I get a little annoyed, but then I do think about the days when they're too old for that stuff and I know I'll miss it. They grow up so fast. Enjoy the tree fort, I remember seeing it in one of your posts.

      Delete
  20. Your Bleeding Hearts are a lot further along than mine. When we added the mulch I had to search for any signs of life from the BH. My Pink Frost isn't doing a lot, it is alive and I view that as a success.
    You are so cute with your kids in the garden. So glad they enjoy being in the garden with you...whether they are planting or making pies.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your garden looks so full of growth and promise already - thanks for sharing! I love how your kids participate in their own ways - really neat.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I cannot get over the growth in your garden already. The Primula is a beauty Catherine and I adore the pink hellebore's.
    The littlest gardener does need a spot to call her own and play in. And the Fairy garden is just so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Spring growth is so exciting! Loved the pic of your bleeding heart - I'm trying to grow this, so it's good to know what it will look like. I usually only see the blooms in pics. And your currants looks so pretty with that combination of pink and green.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Delphiniums, clematis and rose is a perfect cottage combination. Can't wait to see pictures of them in bloom. And it sounds like your littlest one "planted" herself in one of your raised beds and is having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm finally checking in on all the blogs I love to follow. Work must come first..I guess. Our flowering currents are as advanced as yours, I'll have to give them a talking to, or perhaps play some music. I like how everything around here is starting to become green and lush and colorful again. Winter has its nice moments, but spring has a lot more of them.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You're right, that is an amazing primula, I love it! Any flower in the spring is so very welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  27. The hellebores are lovely. So much to look forward to this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Catherine, It's wonderful to see all your flowers and new spring growth. I have daffodils, crocuses and hyacinths poking up in my Gettysburg garden, and this week I caught sight of little red nubs of new growth on bleeding hearts. Your primula is stunning. -Jean

    ReplyDelete
  29. It's looking very spring-like in your garden. I really like Hellebore 'cotton candy', it looks so delicate with its blush of pink.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi! Well, I couldn't agree more with the beginning of your post about finding time to get out in the garden with kids activities and days off this year! It is still early over here but I could be doing a few things but instead I am looking at your most beautiful start to spring. Everything is so lovely, it just makes me want to visit the area again! Love the primula and the Ribes. Please keep showing pics of it as it is one on my short list! Have fun spending time in your beautiful space!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your garden is way ahead of mine this year even with all of our unseasonably warm weather. Too precious on the new 'play bed'!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I am so happy I visited your blog today, we are having snow off and on - there is one daffodil that has popped up with a flower, even the hellebore hasn't flowered yet. I love the fairy garden, I've been wanting to put in something like that. OH and thank you for the id on hellebore 'pink frost' I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love your garden and pictures are wonderful. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  34. It looks like spring is on its way out there. I really like seeing the blooming plants. Your pond looks like it is just waking up, getting ready to grow. Nice photos and happy gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Those little wrens have found a cozy home, how clever they are.
    I am envious of your returning delphiniums, I have to plant new ones every year. darn! My gosh, the pond in the photo beneath is just wonderful, don't you just love lily pads?!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Loved strolling with you around the garden and seeing not only exciting signs of next Season's floral display getting ready to stun us all but seeing evidence of your little girl taking after her mum's footsteps. So sweet and yes, those times are over all too soon.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow. You're way ahead of us. It's nice to see pics of what's coming though...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and leave a comment. I try my very best to answer any questions you may have, but usually don't have time to respond to each comment. Please leave a link to your blog so I can visit you in return.