"One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it brings."

Monday, February 13, 2012

Our day at the Northwest Flower and Garden Show.

Yesterday I attended the last day of the Northwest Flower and Garden Show with my oldest daughter Sweet Pea.  The theme this year was 'A Floral Symphony'.  As usual we enjoyed looking at the many large display gardens, wondering how they were able to get some of the large trees, boulders and other things set up.  I think one  day I'd like to be there during the set up process.  We were lucky enough to meet up with fellow bloggers Alison (Bonney Lassie), Paula and her mother (Petunia's Garden) and Kylee (Our Little Acre).  Nothing like chatting with other people that love gardening the same way I do.
I will say that I really enjoyed the couple of gardens with the vegetable gardens since that is what we are focusing on this year.  I'm not sure whether I noticed a theme this year with the designs (other than the music one).  There were lots of bulbs, lots of conifers and lots of Hellebores. 
I thought I'd just share some of my favorite parts of the display gardens and rather than describe each one just let you enjoy.




















The lighting was dim which makes someone with my lack of photography skills have a difficult time really capturing the colors.  I would say that the theme part of the show seems to take away from the gardens for me, even though I am a huge music lover, the music to me in a garden is the sound of bees buzzing and birds singing.  But it still was an amazing show and I really loved it.  After our tour of the gardens we wandered through the plant market and all of the other vendors.  There is a great variety of things being sold.  I wish I had an endless supply of money to buy all the things I wanted.  One of my favorites were these cool metal owl sculptures, they had them displayed on the top of a pergola.  I wish I would've gotten pictures of them. 
We came home with a glass pond float, cute cement bunny for the Littlest Gardener, a 'Sunshine Blue' blueberry bush and one miniature rose that Sweet Pea insisted she "needed".  (Uh oh, she really sounds like a true gardener doesn't she?)
Truthfully though, the best part of the day was spending some quality time with Sweet Pea!
All words and photos in this post are property of A Gardener in Progress. Pin It

22 comments:

  1. I so enjoy garden shows ... spectacular!
    Happy Valentine's
    TTFN ~
    Hugs,
    Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful that you did the Show with your awesome daughter. The display with the red door was my favorite...luv red doors. If you had an endless supply of money, you might be buying things like yachts instead of plants and then you'd hire a gardener and then we'd miss you a lot. ha-ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing...I look forward to attending this next time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you pictures, I am starting this spring for a yard re-do. Will visit often, Joined your blog. Hugs, Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome pictures!! You are so lucky to be close enough to get to this show! I would love to get there for it someday. The exhibits look so cool, I think they'd have to drag me out of there at closing time - ha!

    I'm with you on "music" in the garden being the sound of birds and bees, wind in the trees, etc. But what a visual feast this show put on - plenty of ideas and inspirations from your photographs alone!

    By the way, I nominated you for a blogging award that has been circulating...details are in my latest post. Please don't feel obligate to do anything with it, I just really love your blog and wanted to share it with other folks who I know would love it too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How nice to meet up with some other bloggers! Jealous.
    Love seeing that really curvy japanese maple in the pictures, bet it is stunning in full leaf.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pictures came out beautifully. I think the show was stunning! Wish I'd been there. Spring is still so far away here in rural Nova Scotia; minus 18 celcius here today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe it's flower and garden show season again! Good grief, so many things to do this time of year ;) I love the edible garden, that looks like my favorite. I'd love to just reach through the screen and harvest some of that scrumptious looking kale and sorrel!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Catherine, it was so fun to see you again, and SWEET PEA! She is adorable and charming. I so enjoyed chatting with her a little bit, too. Your photos of the show are great! You're right - that lighting made it a challenge to photograph things!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the garden show tour. I am a sucker for tree branches so I would choose as my favorite the fourth one in your posting. Like the form of that tree! See you soon. Jack

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful photos of the flower show. I enjoy seeing it each year. What a lot of fun to see and to share with your daughter. I think she is hooked with a green thumb.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The show sure looked like fun. I appreciate the pictures because Saturday we were planning, but Lucy decided she would rather be sick and stay home (well she may not have decided) so I missed it. We'll probably make it next year, but its nice to see it through your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic show , it looks.
    So many new types of arrangements, and lovely lady sitting there:-)

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great show !!..i see spring !!

    Happy Valentine's day....♥.. ♥... ♥....Love Ria......♥.. ♥... ♥....

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks like it was well worth a visit. So many terrific displays. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Some real stunning displays...loving the spring bulbs!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great tour, loved those woven look containers.

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  18. Interesting mix of things. Seems there's something for everyone, and a lot of inspiration! I agree that Sweet Pea *needed* that rose! And how nice that she enjoys going to gardening shows!

    ReplyDelete
  19. How wonderful it all looks Catherine.Music was the theme here last year and I was not blown away with some of it either. I love the Grass lady. Now that is cute.I always love the water features too. The twig arbor with the lights caught my eye along with the old table. All those Grape Hyacinths look so pretty. I love the spring bulbs. Ours is soon and I am hoping it will be a better one this year. The economy has really hurt here. Sweet Pea is getting to be a serious gardener. LOL! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a treat to be able to experience the show through your post! I hope next year I'll be in better shape to maybe drive up and meet ya'll for the show :) So glad you and Sweet Pea enjoyed great day of bonding over flowers :) Cheers, Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  21. My brother went to the show this year but I actually know more about it from your photos! He's not a gardener ~ I guess that explains it! It looks like a wonderful show as usual.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and leave a comment. I try my very best to answer any questions you may have, but usually don't have time to respond to each comment. Please leave a link to your blog so I can visit you in return.