My husband and I rented a truck to drive the hour plus drive down south to the town where we would pick the coops up. The small town of Orting is on a river and pretty rural. If I wasn't so worried about the directions I would've taken pictures. We passed lots of farms and ranches, saw just about every type of farm animal and made it where we needed to go. The man (Donald) that builds them and his brother helped my husband load both our coop and my sister's in sections onto the truck and off we left to go home. Then we got lost, in a rental truck (with the fuel light warning on), with no phone service. It all kind of looked the same and we weren't sure if we had passed a part of the river or piece of land or not until we finally came to a crossroads and realized we had gone the wrong way. Luckily I wasn't fired from my co-piloting job and we eventually made it back home.
A few weeks ago Sweet Pea helped me get this part of the side yard ready for the coop. I was so glad we already had that part done. The coop itself was easy to assemble, it was the leveling of the ground and putting the coop up on the 4x4 frame that was hard.
I was too busy helping to get any pictures during the assembly part. I was up on the roof and assembled almost all of that balancing on top. Here there are smiles because the worst part is done!
My husband making a few adjustments to the door. If you notice the lock on the top is locked, we took turns locking each other in as a "surprise". It also has a lock on the inside which I said may be where I go to hide from everyone and they can't come in to bother me. ☺
I think it looks really pretty unpainted, but we wanted to add some color to make it fun.
We decided on Barn red. We first primed the wood, then it took two coats of paint. Luckily the temperatures were in the 70's all weekend.
Here it is all finished! Our neighbor was happy to hear we were going to have chickens because she said she grew up on a farm. We promised her eggs.
And from the other side.
The Littlest Gardener thought the chickens needed a little decoration above their door.
On the side there is a window that opens for ventilation.
The whole side can come down too for easy cleaning.
The nesting box door. The coop was designed really well and we're really happy with it. If anyone is interested in getting the information for Donald, who built this, just email me. He builds other sizes of coops as well as a really cool rabbit hutch that we eventually plan to get. Once I get the run set up I will put the chicks out there on warm days so they have more space. They are quickly growing!
And since this is a garden blog I thought I would share a couple of new blooms today. First are the apple blossoms. We have a 4 way (used to be 5) grafted apple tree, all but one graft have blooms.
And the first of the columbines!!
And I had to share this beautiful picture that Sweet Pea took while we were up in Skagit Valley for the Tulip festival. If we would've spent the week building the coop we never would've gotten to see the tulips!
There are so many flowers starting to bloom that I promise the next post will be just garden pictures!All words and photos in this post are property of A Gardener in Progress.