"One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it brings."

Sunday, April 10, 2011

A little gardening squeezed in.

Today was the last day of spring break for my kids.  I promised them after the last school break, in which we worked on our front yard most of the time, that this break would be more about fun and not garden or house projects.  In between bowling, playdates, sleepovers, swimming lessons, lacrosse practices and a trip to the zoo I still managed to find a little time out in the garden here and there.  I've also decided I need a new attitude about our less than spring like weather, that if it's not raining I should still go out and garden even if I need a coat.  It could be a long time for perfect garden weather to show up, so I might as well just make the most of what we've got.

 This was my first year using grow lights to start seeds and something I learned was how quickly the soil dries out, just trying to stay on top of the watering has been quite the job.  This is why most of my indoor plants don't live long.  I was able to pot up the pumpkin, zucchini, pattypan squash and butternut squash seedlings.  I also repotted the white miniature rose my husband gave me for Valentine's Day.  I plan to let it stay outside once I get it acclimated to the temperature.

 Plants that I ordered from Bluestone Perennials back in January were delivered and are waiting to be planted along with more new Violas.  Almost all of the wintersowing (in the covered containers) have germinated.

 A cute new garden angel from my sister.

 The pond pump died on Friday evening after 8 years of running continuously.  What I thought would be a quick swap of pumps turned into a 3 hour project.  The new pump cord didn't fit through the conduit underground (it goes under the gravel path to the outlet) so the old one had to be dug up and a new bigger one buried.  Then the new pump didn't fit into the biological filter box so I had to do a little work converting the new pump to work the way the old one did.  Now that the new pump is in I can see how much power the old one had lost.  I'm thankful this didn't happen during the middle of winter when it really would've been a tough job.

 We went to a flea market called 2nd Saturdayz after Sweet Pea's lacrosse game and found a couple of garden things including this washtub.  It was a really nice indoor flea market with lots of great things for sale, a lot of which could be used in the garden or for outdoor decor.  It was different from flea markets I'd gone to when I lived in San Francisco which were huge and outdoors with everything you could imagine for sale.

 Another neat old watering can was bought there too.  Golden Mock Orange (Philadelphus) has leafed out and I've been trying to peer between the leaves to see if there are flower buds in there.  I love how it smells when it blooms.

 I found this fun booklet for sale at the flea market.  It was an ad for Lydia E. Pinkham's vegetable compound that had garden ideas mixed in.  From what I found online about it, it was written in the 1920's.  I love these old ads for medication that claimed to cure everything.

 This is one of my favorite pages showing how to create low cost gardens.  There was another page on garden pools (watergardens) and rock gardens.  If you enlarge this you can read the ad about this vegetable compound curing cramps, backaches and "nerves".

 Tulips in the shed garden finally bloomed.  Inside the shed I hung some shelves on a day earlier in the week.  I impressed myself by pre-drilling holes and using the level.  Usually I get impatient and just throw things together rather than taking my time and doing it the right way.  The shelves are really sturdy and have given me more space inside.

 Today I found these cute bulbs Glory of the Snow (Chionodoxa) blooming.  I had forgotten I even planted them last fall.

 I'm so glad I was able to get some gardening things done this week, just getting out for a short while here and there helps.  It's always surprising how much can get accomplished in a short time of being outside.
All words and photos in this post are property of A Gardener in Progress. Pin It

36 comments:

  1. The garden angel is so sweet. Love that she's holding a leaf. Will it be to hold water or birdseed, or do the fairies decide? :-)
    You found some good things at the flea market.
    Enjoy all the little times you find to garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did so good in installing your new pump for the pond, and your new garden angel is very cute. I enjoyed this tour of your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really admire your lovely pond! I wish I have one myself, but it is a big job to get the pond in that shape yours is! But there is nothing more relaxing then listening to running water.....
    Grow light is very smart for growing seedlings, but you will have to water more often! But if you want to grow seedlings in winter, you have to use extra light!
    (You must excuse my bad english =) I`m from Norway, and don`t practice english that often! But it`s interesting)
    I wish you a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Getting a little done here and there always helps. And my back is much happier with me than if I pull an all-dayer! Your yard is really starting to come alive- in spite of the weather! I managed to get some lettuce planted out yesterday- under a tunnel and praying they live through our cold nights! They are under the large tunnel (single cover), but I did cover half of them- We've been 10-12 degrees colder than usual- seems everyone is saying the same thing. This morning I was pleased to see the lettuce was okay. All part of testing this year :)

    I hope we all warm up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Catherine, I love the way your pond area is looking. Great that you got the pond pump going, again.
    The shed garden has changed quite a bit since you posted photos of it last time. It seems like your garden is in spring mood, despite the bad weather that you are having. The blooming tulips are very lovely!
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden is looking lovely and I really like your flea market finds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been to quite a few plant sales this spring and of course every time I buy lots of plants. I've gotten so far behind in planting, but this past weekend I got out there in the nice weather that finally arrived and now I am only a little bit behind.

    That glory of the snow is very sweet, and of course all your purchases from the flea market are cool. Especially that little booklet. Can't help wondering what was in that vegetable concoction.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The garden is looking great Catherine. Yes, a lot can be accomplished with a short trip through the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your new angle is so adorable. And your garden is really going gung-ho. Those are nice flea market finds too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy moley! A little gardening on the side? The pond project looked intimidating. Your shed garden looks great. It is so empowering to do a carpentry project on your own. Good luck on the seed starts. I decided not to start any this year and wait until the greenhouse is up. The Bluestone perennials look very good. I've always wondered about their quality. Thank you for giving me respite from our snow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Catherine, I love this post. Your gardens are looking so nice and I love your angel and the flea market finds. How fun! What an exciting time of year this is in your beautiful yard - thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seriously? we were at the same place at the same time? I wished i could have met you! You'll definately have to let me know if you are going to the one in Snohomish ahead of time...love it that our paths crossed! xoox, tracie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Catherine, your garden always amazes me with its beauty. Love the little violas is the basket. I think there's some trying to come back from seed in the front bed. Now, if only you could send a little rain my way. :}

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love all your super finds! Seems like a great weekend to me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Catherine, so glad you found a little dry time to be outside and tend to some projects. We worked on the raised beds project in the rain. Made me feel like a 'real' native ;) Your tulips are beautiful!
    Congrats on successful winter sowing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks like you got a lot accomplished. Bummer on the pond pump but after running 8 years-that's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hmmm. You have to get out in the cold, and I have to get out in the heat. Is this the new April?? Your garden is looking so bright. What a fixer you are. The pump sounds like the way many of my projects go. So glad it all worked out and you had a fun, productive week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Seemingly simple tasks never are, are they? I'm amazed you got all that done in three hours - that would have been an whole-weekend job for me!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have some great finds for the garden there, I love the watering can.

    Ah spring, we love you.

    Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  20. Can you imagine getting a garden for 50 cents? :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This was a delightful post, Catherine. Hearing about all the things that filled your daylight hours during Spring break and seeing all the new additions to your garden. I'm so impressed to hear YOU installed the new pump and put up shelves yourself! Wow! I've never done anything like that. My husband does ALL of that sort of thing and I wouldn't know where or how to start! Your little leaflet book would look great in a box frame on the wall in your garden shed ;)

    Love your new angel, watering can and basin :) Your garden is coming on marvellously!

    ReplyDelete
  22. So much work in such a small time????! You must be CaptainGardener! I like the pond - it looks neat already and the shed garden too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wowwwwww...you are very busy !! great the color of you blog now!!...have a nice gardening week ! love Ria....xxx...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Catherine, the washtub and watering can will look great in the garden. Isn't it fun to find some of the old books on gardening?

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  25. You have been busy in and out of the garden. Love all the new treasures you purchased...your blooms are so pretty. We do have to make the most of garden time when mother nature is fickle.

    ReplyDelete
  26. If that pump had to break it did it at the right time. I hate it when they change sizes on the pump hook ups every year or two. I just know my tubing is obsolete now.LOL!Your garden shed bed is so pretty now. You know I love your new angel. Don't you just love Flea Markets. You found some great garden pieces too. What lucky finds.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love flea markets with old garden stuff. You got some great deals. Too bad we can't get some of that elixir or whatever, for our "nerves." Too funny. You sure got a lot of life out of that old pump. I hope your new one lasts as long.

    ReplyDelete
  28. that photo of the shed garden is so springy and happy :-)

    8 years for a pump sounds amazing to me!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Eight years is a LONG time for your pump to last! You must be really good at cleaning it?? I think my small one might die this year (after only two years!) It just doesn't seem like it's moving the water as well.
    I wish I could go garden "junking" with you. I also look for vintage watering cans ~ you can never have too many!! Looks like you found some good things.
    Hope it warms up there soon ~ remember how warm you were last winter? I was so jealous ~ everything was so far ahead of here.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Catherine, I love seeing all the treasures you uncovered at the flea market! The watering can is charming. I laughed at your description of hanging shelves...I'm a bit impatient too and have been known to hammer nails with my shoe and eyeball whether or not something is straight! Drive my husband crazy...he likes having all the right tools for the job!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your garden is really greening up. Ours is coming along too. I'm hoping to get out there today.
    Happy gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  32. You got some great things at the flea market! And I love the garden angel. she is adorable. I also have a rose plant I got from my husband for Valentine's Day and I put it in a pot last year. It bloomed beautifully and this year I moved it to a bigger pot. I hope it continues to do well and yours does the same!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh, Catherine. It just seems nothing is as easy as we'd like to be, but it's always worth the extra work. Your new finds are great - and your gardens are looking even greater! I hope your children grow to love gardening as much as you!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I am with you on the watering seed tray thing.....I have moderate success with starting seeds--- but a lot more aggrevation.
    Love the two finds from the flea market. Now will you put holes in the bottom of the wash tub? How will you use it?
    I have an old galvanized watering can from my MIL from Germany-- 10 liters....a biggie. Best watering can ever!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Catherine, your tulips are so pretty! Down here in central Mississippi we can't really grow tulips. It just doesn't stay cold long enough each winter. I know that you are longing for warmer temps, but gardening in a jacket isn't so bad. Good for your for looking on the bright side and getting out there.

    ReplyDelete
  36. You have a gorgeous garden! It's obvious how much work and love went into it's creation.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and leave a comment. I try my very best to answer any questions you may have, but usually don't have time to respond to each comment. Please leave a link to your blog so I can visit you in return.