"One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it brings."

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Back to reality.

After posting spring flowers in my previous post, it's back to the reality of what is currently going on in my garden.  I was surprised to see the sun come out today after a very foggy morning.  I convinced the Littlest Gardener it would be a good day to go out in the backyard for her to play while I raked more leaves.  I like raking the leaves in our yard, not sure what it is about it, but I find it sort of relaxing.  Maybe if I had more big trees I would feel differently.  While I raked and did some cutting back the Littlest Gardener decided she wanted to plant something.  So she pulled a frond from the Sword Fern and decided that's what she wanted to plant.  I showed her the seeds on the back of the leaves.  Sword Ferns are native here and I always mean to buy more to plant in my back path garden.  I have no idea if they will grow, but it was fun for her to try.
I wish I had some flowers to take pictures of, but the snow and cold last week pretty much took care of them for now.  I'm glad I planted Pansies and Violas around so at least they add a little color outside.

 This was surprising, one of the Hellebores has buds on it already.  I wonder how long until it blooms?

 The path nice and tidy after raking and sweeping.  I found some Crocuses that were beginning to sprout.  While I was raking up the front part I smelled the mint scent of the Corsican mint (Mentha requienii) ground cover.  It grows very easily here between stepping stones and is a nice surprise to smell when you walk on it.

 My favorite purple Violas blooming next to the deck.

 A fairy dancing near a waterfall.

 For as much work as this Ponderosa Pine gives us, I just love the bark on it.  A flock of Bushtits sat high up in it a few days ago eating small green cones and dropping them all over the deck.  The squirrels also love to eat the green cones, but they usually chew little branches off too and drop them around the yard.  An Oakleaf Hydrangea is growing next to it, anything that can grow under a pine tree is very tough.

Another fairy relaxing in Sweet Pea's fairy garden.  This fairy moved here from the Hocking Hills of Ohio when Lona sent her to my girls.  Looks like she's made friends with a  yellow snake and blue frog.

And because I know it will be awhile before I see many flowers outside, I decided to try an Amaryllis again this year.  After watching Kathleen showing her's blooming on her blog I just couldn't resist.  I planted one called 'Cinderella'.  I have a feeling that I may end up buying more, I just miss seeing flowers blooming too much.
Pin It

28 comments:

  1. Beautiful garden, I love it!
    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you will like the amaryllis. Mine has just started to bloom, a little sooner than I wanted but I couldn't put it in the garage to slow it down, just wanted to see that beautiful flower.

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely garden! I think that paved path is charming. I bet the littlest gardener enjoys all of the fairy sightings, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a great job in taking these photos of your work. It is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too find raking and sweeping the garden very relaxing.The Amaryllis blooms only in spring and autumn here. I wonder how they make it bloom in winter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. think Kathleen has a vested interest in the Amaryllis trade? I too want to get some after seeing hers.
    I love that you have the mint as a groundcover.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed the pictures and I can just imagine the scent of mint under foot! Best wishes with the amaryllis.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember one of the very first pictures on your blog was that path. It still wows me each time I see it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll have to look for some of that mint - I love the thought of stirring up a minty perfume.

    ReplyDelete
  10. lol on Janet's comment! I should have a vested interest for as big as my collection is getting!
    I'm so glad you are trying one again (and maybe more down the road). I'm still holding out hope that the ones you had last winter will rebloom for you. I'll have to look 'Cinderella' up ~ that's one I'm not familiar with! Can't wait to see it.
    It doesn't look like you'll have long to wait for outdoor blooms judging by the hellebore bud. That's really incredible. I'm going to go out tomorrow and look at mine but I'm not holding my breath about finding any thing.
    Happy you were able to be out today ~ it always makes for a nicer day, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your path looks beautiful even in winter, Catherine :) and so neatly raked! Will you be my leaf-raking fairy next autumn, please?

    I, too, cannot get enough of the different textures of bark - love the look of your pine bark and the charming plaque you've displayed on the trunk.

    It's astounding to see the early beginnings of new growth already making its first tentative appearance in your garden. So much to anticipate. I'm holding thumbs your little girl's sword fern spores do their magic for her.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hoorrayyy for interesting bark in winter!!x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super creative shots !!
    Love the arbor and walkway...love it all !!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely shots of your garden but particularly love your natural path - makes the visitor want to follow it

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks lovely still, cold here, freeze two nights but my happy plumbago is still blooming. Crazy plant. take care, Gina

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Catherine~~ I've noticed buds on my Hellebore too. It seems awfully early but who's complaining? We need all the encouragement we can get these days. I hope you daughter's experiment pans out and you have baby ferns. I've got several native sword ferns and I've found that they "reseed" prolifically on their own too so your daughter's "help" should speed the process. Fingers crossed.

    Love the fairies. Lona is a dear isn't she?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooh, lovely colourful flowers and sweet fairies!
    Unusually, we're blanketed with snow more than knee deep at the moment, so my world is very, very white - and VERY cold! It's minus 10 right now (5.50pm) and will drop more overnight so your flowers are a gorgeous reminder of spring! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like raking leaves as well and I have some large trees around the boundaries. I think it is very satisfying as you can see the difference you have made really quickly.
    Amarylis are great but I always find mine get very leggy and having to be supported, maybe my house is too hot for them. Hopefully you will have a lovely bloom

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely fairies in the garden. I too miss the flowers in the garden. Amaryllis bulbs were on my Christmas list this year and hope someone buys me one. Take care and happy gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I need to go check my Hellebores. I bought mine last year because of seeing yours. I have the one plant, but it's gotten pretty big.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a beautiful stone path, and a great photo. I specialize in hellebores at my nursery and have hundreds growing. Hybrids often form buds if the weather is unseasonably warm, but then they go into suspended animation if it gets cold and stays that way--even for months. However, where you are everything might work differently. I am about to do a post on hellebores that are supposed to bloom in the fall (and do). I hope you will check it out. Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Catherine. The dancing fairy is so cute. She looks like she is afraid of stepping into the water.LOL! I knew that fairy would love living at your house with the girls. Look at all the friends she has now. She never got along with my gnomes here. LOL!
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really love that path, the broken flagstones make it look even more "beautiful".

    Happy Gardening.

    Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your waterfall isn't frozen, that's a good sign.

    I bought a couple Amaryllis bulbs and they're still not planted.

    Keep on raking and having fun outside with the Littlest Gardener.

    donna

    ReplyDelete
  25. The path looks lovely all raked. Have a nice day Catherine.

    ReplyDelete
  26. It still looks like there is some life left in your garden. You pond and water always look so great.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Glad that you were able to do some work outside Catherine ~ I am envious ~ it's been much too cold and icy here to venture forth for some time. Look forward to seeing photos of 'Cinderella' in due course :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. love hellebors too - it makes the winter seem like there is something to appreciate in the garden! i think i cut mine back too much this year...although just in the last week i've started to see new leaflets appearing at the base...whew, i was a little worried i'd lost them. i'm enjoying your garden blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and leave a comment. I try my very best to answer any questions you may have, but usually don't have time to respond to each comment. Please leave a link to your blog so I can visit you in return.