"One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it brings."

Monday, February 22, 2010

Turning an unused side yard into a new garden area.

We've been talking about our upcoming outdoor projects around here over the last few weeks. Or I should say I've been talking about them and trying to convince my husband of what I think are some great ideas. We both know we have to replace our side fence, it's practically about to fall over. The side of the house it's on has been the dumping grounds of our yard, it's where we keep the yard waste can, compost bin, plants with no home, and empty plant containers. It's also home to a very ugly metal shed that came with the house.
When I took my husband out to show him my newest ideas for the side yard, it wasn't long before he was loading up the back of his SUV with two big stumps, a broken concrete fountain and other things too big for the garbage can and off to the dump he went. The poor guy doesn't always know what he's getting himself into when he joins me on a "garden tour". After he finished the last job that required his muscles, which was removing a fence post that had been set in concrete, he went off on a bike ride. Sweet Pea and I took it from there.
Off to the home improvement store we went for compost and brick pavers. It seemed everyone else in town was there for garden supplies as well. I wonder how many of the men were there after the women in their lives convinced them of garden projects?
We had perfect weather to work in, sunny and clear skies and the temperature close to 60.

Gracie, our little white dog, soaked in the sun on the deck. Occasionally people have asked what breed of dog she is, she's a Bichon Frise.

I wish I would've taken some before pictures, but I guess I was too excited to start the cleanup on this part of the yard. There was a lattice panel attached to a fencepost and to the fence. The whole back area was gravel and stumps, broken fountain, etc. Earlier in the week I took stacks and stacks of nursery pots to a pot recycling center at a nursery near us.

Sweet Pea dressed for gardening. The area she is standing on was about 3 inches deep of crushed gravel. We removed the gravel and finished edging with brick pavers about 8 feet back and 7 feet toward the fence. After the fence is replaced this Spring, the metal shed will go and we'll be putting a cedar potting shed just behind where Sweet Pea is standing. I'd love to find one with a few windows and add shelving inside for tools and other garden supplies. I've wanted a potting shed since we moved here 10 years ago.

The fence post to the right of the cement cat is where the lattice panel was. The whole yard already feels bigger with that divider gone. Most of the plantings in front of the fence were added this past fall, so they are just starting to grow a bit now with the mild weather we've had.

This is where the potting shed will face out to. We used hoes, rakes, shovels and my favorite: a pickax to cleanup here. Then we added many bags of compost to the clay soil here. Look at all that open space to fill in!

And while we've had such clear skies recently the Littlest Gardener has been just fascinated by the moon being out all day. Each time I looked up from the digging I was doing I saw the moon right above us.

When my husband came home from his ride he was quite impressed with what we got accomplished over the weekend. I hope that in a few months the fence and shed will be up and this unused side yard will be another pretty part of the garden.
Pin It

41 comments:

  1. It looks fantastic! I am so excited for you to have all that new space to plant! Gracie is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It flows right in with the rest of your bed and just looks wonderful. Oh goody I see more plants in its future. That will be the perfect location for you a little sanctuary of a potting shed. You must have a window to look out upon the garden. I love your cement kitty. I would like to have a bunny that size for my garden. A cement one that is. LOL! No munchers allowed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Catherine, I cannot believe what you have achieved over a single weekend. You really are focussed when you have a garden project in mind. But, speaking from experience, I know it is the only way to get things done.

    You will have such fun choosing new plants and a potting shed. My friends T and G had one made which they then painted. It has been a great success and looks like part of the garden design.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks wonderful!!! Isn't it fun to do something like that...and you stand back and say...Wow look what I did!!!
    I had a day like that yesterday! I am so glad I was able to get so much done. The weather was perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does look good and like a lot of fun! A few sweet garden helpers would be a treat! Your moon shot is fantastic~ gail

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't you just feel good now? Oh the plants you can plant in that area..such a great thing will be your potting shed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great job you are doing! It's so much fun to take some unused or unsightly space and make it into a thing of beauty.

    Have fun and enjoy the process.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  8. With all of your energy and creativity would you please come over to my garden and help out? LOL.
    I love your new garden area.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All sounds very rewarding and I look forward to watching it develop during the summer months.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful moon shot! Good job in clearing out the side yard. Can't wait to see what you plant there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You really did get a lot done. Looking good too. That will be great for you to have a potting shed. You'll love puttering around in it - and you can play even when it's raining outside. ;-)
    Love the shot of the moon you got.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh how nice to have all that new space to garden in Catherine. Can't wait to see the new shed.

    That's a fabulous pic of the moon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an accomplishment girl. It looks great and ready for some plants. I feels so good to stand back and look at what you've done and remember how it looked before you started - what a good feeling.

    I have Breadseed Poppies coming up - check them out on my blog and answer my question.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now Catherine can I please borrow you and Sweet Pea for a day ot two to sort out my garden? Job well done!
    Great moon shot - looks like a piece of cheese in that bluest of skies.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's going to be great! I' looking forward to see it in a few weeks.

    Do you really have 60 degrees? Hrm... we're still having around 30 and the snow stays put. I wonder when I'll be abel to wear my garden shorts again =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I forgot, does Blotanical work as it's suppsted to do for you again? I'm missing a lot of things and I wonder if it's only me or is it the same for us all? If it's only me I'll have to tell Stuart / gittan

    ReplyDelete
  17. A potting shed sounds wonderful! And another bed to garden in, yay!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Catherine,

    You are so lucky to have what gardeners covet most....a bare planting area with amended soil, ready for planting. I can't wait to see what you put in :^)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I forgot to mention that Gracie is beautiful and looks so comfy soaking up the sun. My little Buddy is also a Bichon - not registered. I can see the resemblance.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Poor hubby, nah! That is going to be a beautiful spot when you guys finish.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are very motivated! I look forward to seeing more of the changes with the new shed, etc. Looks so inviting Catherine.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! What a fantastic job! It's so satisfying to turn unused space into a new garden. I'm jealous that you get to choose, plant, and grow all sorts of new plants now ;-) - my garden is just about out of space for new plants (hubby isn't too keen on removing the last remaining patch of grass - only 8'x10' - and replacing it with yet more plants)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good for you! Out and about in the garden. I was out in my foot high of snow filling my feeders and my neighbor lady's feeders and we have a windchill of 9 degrees. I will catch up with you some of these days. Your doing well with all your work. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. How exciting for you, it's like finding a whole new section of yard to play in. I had to laugh at your "garden tour." I do the same thing to my husband. I think he's onto me though. The last time he started said tour he was paying apt attention for the first five minutes anyway before claiming he heard the phone ringing. I came back in later to find him sitting in front of the computer. "Oh, well I just came in to check my email, I thought you were done out there." Hmmm?? I see that your guy has the all important bike ride to take. Clever. ;-)
    You guys are doing a great job with that area and kudos to you for resisting the call of the Spring Lounger. I have not been so strong. I've already got the hammock out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. It must be fun to have a workout in the garden with the rest of the family. Even the moon showed up to witness and complement.. Cheers! ~bangchik

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm so happy for you. It's so great to have a new garden area to just go at it. Can't wait to see the rest of the process. I love your Gracie, she is so super cute.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's so nice to be able to clean up an eyesore, isn't it? We've a few left ourselves that require some work.
    I like the idea of a potting bench.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What great potential! I can't wait to see how it turns out. Promise me you'll put a window box on your potting shed. I'll never have room for one, but that has always been my dream. I've got a cycling husband too - he somehow worms his way out of a lot of yard projects by jumping on his bike and coming back 2 hours later. Thanks for stopping by my site!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  29. send sweet pea over to my blog to check out my moon! I just posted a pic of the moon the other day.

    Anyhoo. Looks great. Rescuing land from decay is always incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh yea, yummy new soil to plant in--lots of work...but with your green thumb and energy it will be awesome in no time. Aren't you glad things are almost back to normal again? I'm so tired of winter.

    I hope you can get a Botanical Interests catalog

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a green family! You're lucky, Catherine and am happy to see it. Another new patch waiting to be painted! Isn't that awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow, it looks wonderful!! Such a great use of the space. :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love the work, it all looks so nice! I hope you get your "ten year" wish! Those are the best kind of wishes to get!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Catherine, you make me feel like a lazy slug. You're not afraid of hard work, are you?

    I think this is the first time I've seen a photo of your Gracie. Luv the look on her face, like she's thinking, "Don't bother me, I'm busy soaking up sun."

    Know what I like? The green that's creeping up the fence, adds character to the fence.

    donna

    ReplyDelete
  35. You must be proud of yourself! See, what can you do with bright ideas and clever hands? Well done! ElliD.

    ReplyDelete
  36. You are so energetic Catherine! Look at all the work you've already gotten accomplished while the rest of us sit inside surrounded by snow. We are eating our hearts out! I bet you feel really great about this tho ~ it's so wonderful to reclaim a previously unused area and beautify it. Good job. I can't wait to see what you plant here too. I bet it will be just as gorgeous as everything else in your yard. Oh, I think with all these new planting places, you definitely will find spots for all those seedlings you're starting/growing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  37. I can't wait to see how yours turns out! It looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Catherine, how fun! I love these kinds of projects. Our husbands must wonder about us, but it sounds like your guy is a keeper! I just posted about the very first time I introduced Ted to the yard that would become a garden. Great job and your garden is eye candy-Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow, Catherine and Sweet Pea, your new area looks like it was supposed to be that way all along! I love it! What's in the big pot? I like your idea for a potting shed.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Truly impressive. It's amazing what can happen when the whole family gets involved! I guess I can use that excuse for all my neglected areas of the yard, no amount of convincing can get anyone else around here involved in my proposed projects! :) Looks great and can't wait to see what you plant. Space for another fruit tree or ?? Something from the wish list for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and leave a comment. I try my very best to answer any questions you may have, but usually don't have time to respond to each comment. Please leave a link to your blog so I can visit you in return.