"One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it brings."

Monday, March 21, 2011

A good weekend!

Finally dry weather and a free weekend coincided.  This weekend we got to enjoy our front garden after weeks and weeks of hard manual labor out there.  We had dry weather and we did see some sun but it stayed mostly in the low 50's.  We had fun plant shopping and planting when we got home Saturday.  Sunday my girls and I went to a plant sale where we found some more plants.  The Littlest Gardener and I planted Sugar Snap bush peas in the new raised bed, I planted Oriental lilies and gladiolas by the picket fence - only one bag of Dahlias left to plant now!  So fun to be digging small holes rather than shoveling loads of soil, gravel, etc...

 I already love how this little area is going to look.  I planted some Corsican Mint to grow around the stepping stones here.  It makes me hungry every time I smell it.  The purple flowered plant is an Erysimum or Wallflower 'Bowles Mauve',  I just love how long this plant blooms for.  I've also planted Agastache and a Lavatera to fill in the corner.  Lavatera is a favorite of my husband's and I thought the least I could do is let him help choose some of what will grow here since he did the majority of the hard work, usually he doesn't really mind what I plant.  Along the front fence (inside) I planted several different perennials that I hope will grow up through both sides of the fence.

 Just a few dwarf boxwoods for some evergreen color, I don't want anything that gets big because I plan to have lots of other flowers and grasses mixed in here.

 While I was out I noticed that the Muscari is finally starting to get flowers.  The Littlest Gardener has been asking when the Grape Hyacinths will be ready to pick.  We have so many growing that it is one flower I don't mind how many she picks.

 Crocus enjoyed some sun.

 Daffodils blooming in the shed garden.  Not too far from this area I planted more Tiger lilies.  They seem to do really well back here in the sun and close to Cedar trees.

 My new plants from the plant sale on Sunday.  I found Epimedium, Trillium, Drumstick Primula, another type of Primula, Tulipa turkestanica, Papaver rupifragum and another that I can't remember the name of.

 Epimedium 'Elfin Pink' has the sweetest tiny pink flowers.

While I was at the plant sale I got to meet Alison of Bonney Lassie and her husband.  It was a lot of fun to talk with Alison in person.  It's funny how much we knew about each other, not ever having met or talked in person before.  I didn't get to stay long as the Littlest Gardener was cold and done with plant shopping.  Look at the cute birds that Alison gave me, so nice of her.  I can't wait to see what she bought since she was just getting started shopping as we were finished.

This time of year I seem to have an ever growing chore list of what needs to be done outside.  For this week I need to finish pruning Clematises, sow more seeds both inside and outside, pot up some of my indoor seedlings and get some potatoes planted.  One thing not on our list this year - grass mowing.  Half our town was out mowing this weekend and happily for us we weren't one of them.
All words and photos in this post are property of A Gardener in Progress. Pin It

34 comments:

  1. A wonderful epimedium indeed. It's so pretty. This is one plant I have not had success with but wish I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super! Everything is looking so good! As a follower of Alison's blog, I'm delighted to know you two got to meet each other. I love the thoughtful gift she gave you, too...how sweet was that?!

    Can't wait to see this 'new' garden of yours develop into its own, Catherine...it's been so much fun sharing in the makeover from start to finish and now, to be seeing everything you'll be planting.

    What a GREAT way to be starting your new spring and summer seasons!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that was fun planting in new gardens. That is always a pleasure to see some nice color against the dark fresh soil. It will be beautiful Catherine when it fills in over the next little while. My yard is looking good with mowed grass. Love the smell of the freshly mowed grass. And then I sneeze over and over. Have a good day Catherine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No mowing...yea!
    You have a lot of new plants. Can't wait to see them all peeking through the slats. I like that you have a few stones for your plants to grow around too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks fabulous, Catherine. I'm glad you got some dry weather. It was rain as usual down here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't niewonderful planting in a freshly put in garden? No weeds to tend with. I love your little shed. Love what you are doing...Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, our weather mirrored yours for once - we felt very lucky to hit 50 degrees. I see the nurseries around here are coming to life and need to stop in and see what calls to come home with me. Your new purchases look like lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was great to meet you yesterday! I need to get a blog post up today. I hope Sweetpea feels better, I'm afraid I embarrassed her by commenting on her hoarse voice....

    I actually bought that Epimedium too! When I saw yours I had to get one. I've been looking for a pink one, all I've been able to find at the nurseries is yellow. I can't wait to see your drumstick Primula and your Tulip flower, they are so cool!

    I loved the Epimedium I had in my old garden. It increases slowly, so that in a couple of years, you'll be able to take pieces of it, and put them in other spots. Loves part shade, very drought tolerant. Just a great plant!

    It will be fun to see how your new area inside the fence progresses. I love it already!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I said to myself last year that I would not buy more plants this year because more plants = a new bed = more work.

    But I can't bear to look at your plant sale plants and not long for them. I know I won't be able to resist.

    The garden is looking lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! What a paradise your yard is becoming! I can hardly wait to buy plants!

    ReplyDelete
  11. First off congrats on all of the wins you have had lately. You go girl. LOL! I knew you could put that Proven Winners win to work in those new beds.
    I am loving the new plants you got.That corner of the fence is looking good.I keep thinking about all of that painting you are going to have to do. LOL! Not one of my favorite jobs I guess. I am loving to watch all of the changes in your new garden.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have one of those ever growing chore lists too Catherine - it seems to get longer with each day. Looks as if you enjoyed yourself at that plant sale :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your crocus!! Your garden looks so nice and tidy:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Catherine, your front area is going to look wonderful. I also grow agastache and I love the smell as I pass by.

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I can just see this evolving in a couple of months into a riot of colour

    ReplyDelete
  16. No lawn mowing is definitely a cause for celebration! Then again, so is your new garden! It's looking fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You've documented this wonderful transformation so well - it will be fun to see the way things grow over the hard structure this summer, and remember what those 'bones' look like. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so inspired by your front yard transformation! I'm drafting plans to rid myself of some of our grass in our front yard. I'll be excited to see all of your new blooms this upcoming season! p.s. super cute gift from Allison!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cathrine, the new beds by the new fence are looking great, inside the fenced in area and outside. I love that you planted 'Corsican Mint', the fragrance is irresistible to me and maybe I will try, if I can get it to grow in my own yard.
    You got some really interesting plants at the plant sale. Can't wait to see where you will put them.
    I really love what you are doing in your yard. Very inspirational!
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  20. Catherine,
    So if you want to bother your neighbors leave the fence painted that way. The garden is going to look great, you guys have been working hard. Speaking of working hard I hand dug a 10 footer on the hill above our pond and mixed my own concrete and poured the footer all after lunch, boy am I tired. The bottle wall is coming together.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What progress! I just started reading your blog and you must be about done with all of the hardscaping! I can't wait until the plants are all grown up and filling the beds with color. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great selections, they are going to look wonderful in the garden. Which looks fantastic, your hard work has produced a beautiful front yard. No Grass, Yah.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your front garden already looks so nice. There will be lots of flowers, veggies and herbs soon..

    ReplyDelete
  24. How great that you got to meet Alison! She is so knowledgeable of plants. Those are great birds she gave you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ah! The lovely daffodils! I can almost smell the soil. Looks fresh and eager to feed its plants. Happy gardening.
    Waiting for your post on the pond.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Catherine it is looking so beautiful now that you finally have all of the hard work behind you. I love the plant choices you made. The Epimedium is so delicate looking - it kind of resembles a Guara? in the picture. Now it's just too bad you have to listen to all of the neighbors mowing - hate that. I keep telling Bob all the neighbors should pick a day and get the noise over all at once. LOL But the smell is heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oops I forgot to mention how nice it was that you were able to meet Alison. I told her you had mentioned us getting together sometime in the next month and maybe she could join us to make it a threesome. Fun huh?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hello Catherine
    thanks for stepping by!
    Your garden is always better and your dahlias will look great.
    You are lucky to have a family that helps you!
    have a good week
    simonetta

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your new garden is looking great. Nice to see so much spring growth there.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Now you get to do the fun part!! Love that crocus. Everything looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your fenced front yard is wonderful Catherine, you must be the envy of the neighborhood. What fun getting together with Alison. I have enjoyed meeting fellow garden bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Now is when all your hard prep work really pays off! You get to plant things and sit back and watch them grow!

    ReplyDelete
  33. The garden looks wonderful Catherine. Great idea to plant the Corsican mint around the stepping stones. I may borrow that idea!

    ReplyDelete
  34. What wonderful progress you've made already, Catherine! We're very near Spring here. We had a few very Warm days lately, but now we have to get through a few cold ones. March in Iowa. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and leave a comment. I try my very best to answer any questions you may have, but usually don't have time to respond to each comment. Please leave a link to your blog so I can visit you in return.